Used 2002 Porsche 911 Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Porsche 911

View reviews for a specific 911 model:

2002 996 Cab
By WSM996

2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Rwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

This has been a great car. I looked at 997s but, for the money, the the 996 seemed like the best buy. It's an everyday driver and I drive it from Austin to Dallas every week for work. A lot of fun; surprising economy; very comfortable seating.

2002 C2 Cab - 4th 911
By Bob in Fort Myers

2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Rwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

My 4th 911, first water cooled and the best of the lot. Reliable and an absolute blast to drive even around town. There is nothing like a 911, especially a rag top with the top down. I bought a museum quality car and keep it that way as a pleasure car. When I take it out I feel the bit of celebrity a Porsche 911 brings to the road. I love the power top and the complex way the rear deck comes up to hide it, but it squeaks when going up and down and has a small intermittent rattle. No real problem. Hope to own a 911 until I die and would be buried in one but it would be a shame to deprive someone else of the pleasure of driving the car.

Style, style, style. Nothing is like a Porsche. Build quality, metallic paint, full leather interior, power, gear shift, and clutch. Cinnamon full leather interior.

Top rattles a little, only intermittently and no problem. Porsche should offer touch up paint for custom color interiors. I have one or two small chips which a magnifying glass can find.

A tremendous sports car for the money
By eDoug

2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Since prices have come down on these, they represent a tremendous value for anyone seeking a sports car, and anyone charmed by the voluptuous shape and performance of a 911. While many snuffed the new looks of the 996 chassis and design, it's unmistakably all 911... and the performance on and off the track are testimony to it's heritage. There are some weak points mechanically in some cars, but this is factored in to the low prices we're seeing for these models. 2002 added some nice goodies - and it's a great year... Would I love a 2009 997? Perhaps, but when you might be able to pay cash for a 2002 with only incrementally lower performance (but less weight, too), it's an easy decision.

Great power, handling, looks, sound.

Interior is slightly dated, but it looks like a sports car - and has all the creature comforts you might expect. Want navigation? Go aftermarket, better quality anyway...

An unexpected Pleasure
By Giovanni B.

2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Always fun to drive, even after 7+ years of ownership. I would recommend buying a set of winter tires to anyone who lives in a cold climate, especially if you expect to drive in snow regularly. Without them, the garage is the best place for the car! However, with a set of snows traction becomes very good & driving confidence climbs considerably. This is my ONLY car and I use it in all sorts of nasty weather. I don't baby it at all.

The most amazing and unexpected thing for me has been the car's reliability. True, upkeep ain't cheap, but aside from a couple of flats - expensive proposition, those tires! - I've never been stranded anywhere for anything. I don't hesitate to jump in the car and wolf off 5 - 700 miles.

The biggest gripe I have is with the tires. They perform very well BUT they are sooooo fragile - and soooo expensive to replace when you destroy one. I'm also tempted to say that on many occasions I'd love a quieter interior, but hey, it's a Porsche - fancy - sports car right?

Awesome Targa!!
By Jonas

2002 Porsche 911 Targa Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I frequently change vehicles and have had some of the greats in the mid- price range - Elise, NSX, S2000. The 911 edges out the NSX for top honors in my opinion. It gives an unbelievably smooth ride when calm, but upon hard acceleration or cornering tightens up significantly. This is the first of the cars I've owned that my wife will drive. I've only had the car for a few months, but it hasn't missed a beat. Also, the torque curve is much more linear than any car I've previously owned. It's a welcoming contrast to the lack of bottom end power I've experienced in the past. In my opinion the Targa design is far superior to the standard 911; the glass breaks up the roof line nicely.

Exterior Styling - loved it since I was a kid. Rear Wing - just icing on the cake. Manual Transmission - one of the smoothest manuals around. Linear Power - as previously mentioned. 3rd Gear at 3500 rpm - drop the hammer and you'll giggle like a school girl.

Steering Wheel - no adjustment allowed. This is the most annoying thing in the world to me. Forces you to change your natural driving position. Seat Bolsters - not as aggressive as I would like. Seats are a bit flat for such a performance oriented car.