Used 2009 Pontiac Vibe Base Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Pontiac Vibe

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

Great little car
By Cbrown

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'm very pleased with my Vibe. It's the AWD model. It handles well and is pretty zippy with the 2.4L engine. Upgraded factory sound system with Sirius/XM is great. Mileage has consistently been around 26-27 mpg. The car is great in the snow with or without snow tires. With the back seat down it has an amazing amount of cargo space. The back seat has a lot of leg room for a small car. Too bad they discontinued this car, I'd buy another one!

All wheel drive, sound system, fold down back seat for space, Overall exterior design is very contemporary looking, great mileage while having enough space for 4 adults to ride comfortably.

I'm not a fan of the brushed metal look on the dash. The mix of LCD and analog display gauges isn't the greatest, but they are all easy to read. The car has a 4 speed auto and I would have preferred a 5 speed auto for mileage. The 5 speed wasn't available with the AWD.

scared in snow!
By scared in snow

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We just bought a 2009 awd vibe for my wife. We live in Denver and had a good size snow. She called from work her 1st day driving this vehicle. It slid all over the place!! could hardly stop at stop signs & would just slid when turning! So i drove it when i got home, she was right! I do realize it is light but even with the "snow feature" awd kicked in, it was scary. The tires are very good--low profile, perhaps if we changed to regular tires? any Thoughts?? Very disappointed in Denver.

Can't believe I drive this over my 911
By Eric

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a second car after buying a 2006 Porsche 911S. GM was giving these Vibes away and all I needed was a basic car with decent space, room for 5, and AWD for trips to Lake Tahoe in the winter. Since I bought the Vibe, I've put 3800 miles on it, and only 500 on my Porsche. I love this Vibe. It doesn't handle particularly well, it isn't that fast, it doesn't have any luxuries, and it isn't beautiful. But, I find myself drawn to its fun, comfortable, and easy to drive nature. My friends and family make fun of me for showing up in my Vibe while my Porsche sits in the garage, but I can't help from loving this stupid Vibe.

Fun to drive. XM radio. Comfortable ride.

A 5 speed automatic would help the mediocre gas mileage on the AWD version. But then I compare it to my old Outback, my S4, and the SUVs I was considering and it doesn't feel so bad. Heated seats Rear speakers were too boomy so I faded the audio forward to fix it. Better rear quarter visibility

surprising!
By soccermom09

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 5 months ago to replace an SUV so was not sure about sitting lower to the road. I was pleasantly surprised by this Vibe. The drivers seat raises, giving me some of the height I used to enjoy. This car is just fun to drive! Pick up is great, handles well. My 17 year old loves to drive it too. I have not had a chance to try out the AWD yet, but if my current satisfaction is any measure I know I will not be slowed by any snow!

Sunroof, gear shifter on console

A bit of a blind spot that you need to be careful of. Also the back interior is not carpeted. It's easy to clean if you haul something that leaks but if you haul something like a bike or chair it is easily scratched.

1 yr, 26000 miles - Nice Car
By Nancy

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I waited for the AWD to return in 2009, and am happy I did. Nice, tight steering, it has more pickup than my 6 cyl Stratus, & the AWD plows through snow like a champ. Lots of cargo space and super-versatile layout. I can fit almost anything that would have fit in my Blazer. CONS: I wish the Vibe offered more options. In this day and age, it’s crazy that you can’t get power seats even if you want them! Like others, I noticed the chippy paint, but thought it was due to living on a rocky dirt road. Also, everyone is raving about the milage- it’s ok, but I think a car of this size could do better. Overall, I LOVE it! This is a great car for the money and I would happily buy another.

Cargo Space, versatility, small size, and AWD

Better highway milage, more available options, better scratch resistance on the paint. I'm very disappointed that this, along with the whole Pontiac line, is being eliminated :(