Used 2003 Pontiac Vibe Consumer Reviews - 347 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Pontiac Vibe

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

I still love my car!!
By Kathy

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Clocked over 120K in 10 years and still going strong. Fits everything I ever needed it to...Camping Gear, Kayaks on the roof, 46in flat screen, my 3 dogs, and dozens of 8foot 2x4s for the occasional home project. I live in PA and its been to Florida, Boston, New Orleans and everywhere in between. Its my first choice for long trips and gets great gas mileage-upper 30's on the highway. Great in all weather, even snow, but good all weather tires are a must. Odd problems are just starting to happen now...need to change the Catalytic Converter, first fuse just blew last month and something is wrong with the vent in the gas tank. Filling up takes forever. But still the best car ever!

Cruise controll, Auto headlights. Moon and Tunes Package with 6 speakers and sun roof. Also added aftermarket rain gaurds and Auto start. Couln't live without either.

More room surrounding the outlet. I never use it as most plug are larger the the standard lamp plug. Even cell phone plugs don't fit. Also would be nice to have an audio output jack for the stereo.

Great Car
By JohnR

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Vibe with 33,000 miles and now has 108,000 after my 5 years of ownership. Oil changes every 5000 miles. First brake job when it was in the 90k range. Changed the belt and did a few other preventative items at the same time but that's it. Car has been great and is zippy enough to be fun to drive. Ugly GM radio but the sound is good. My drivers window rattles a bit but it's the only one so there may have been some damage to it before I got it. All in all, this is a great car if you are looking for a reliable, sporty, and convenient vehicle to own.

Who says you need a 1/2 ton pickup for your average run to Home Depot? Just fold down the back seats and open the hatch. Plenty of room for hauling 99% of the time.

I think the radio is terribly ugly but that's just a personal preference. Other than that that can't say I'd recommend anything at this price point.

Absolutely love my Vibe!
By Kira

2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I now have 161,000 miles & still drive it everyday. Been to Florida & Wisconsin several times, never any problems. Great gas 34mpg hwy. Replaced battery, brakes, tires only. Hit a deer $4000 damage to front end, it stopped in a straight line, no-one injured except dead deer, was amazed. Only problem I've had is the gas door broke off at hinges recently. I would buy this car again today if I could. So much storage space. I have slept comfortably overnight in this car many times because you can fold the seats down flat & make a bed on top. There was a recall on front side windows for loose bolt replacement, work completed for free, no problems since. No recall on gas door yet,I reported it.

Styling is cool & sporty. Fold down seats. Sunroof. AWD with good tires drives through snow like anything. Have driven over frozen Lake Superior many times. I feel so safe in this car. Seat material very durable, no tears, holes, rips, & I raised teens in this car. Paint & interior has held up well.

Annoying lack of space between seats & center console, when you drop a pencil, very hard to retrieve & I have small hands. Some wind noise at driver's window. Seat material durable, but stains easily. Pullout sun visor extensions would be great. Bigger cup holders. Love the 110ac adapters built in.

Great on gas, but poor engine
By Kristy

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my vibe because I have heard such good reviews, and I liked the fact that it is a Toyota in disguise, but I am truly dissapointed. The check engine light came on and when checked out, it turns out I need a catalytic converter, also it has started losing oil so a compression test was done and I need a new engine also, which is why my cat. converter went bad. I have been sooo upset because I dont have the money to just go and put a whole new engine in and I have to have a car. Regular oil changes have always been done in this car so we dont know why the engine has went bad. I hope everyone else has better luck with their vibe.

it sits fairly high, I like where the gear shift is located, I love the fold down seats, very nice when hauling stuff. I like the interior design, though some parts are cheaply made.

Best Little SUV/Wagon Made!
By pattyc

2003 Pontiac Vibe GT Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We bought this car when it was just a yr old in 2004. It had 36,340 miles. It now has 172,000 miles and still in GREAT Shape! We drive mostly highway miles and enjoyed 30 MPG but got 33 MPG on a recent trip to Ohio. Due to the 6 speed manual transmission and being extremely well maintained. You would be Amazed at what you can haul when the back seats are laidd down flat since the back cargo capacity is Huge! Sister car to the Toyota Matrix at a fraction of the price. I Love this car and would buy a new one but Pontiac is no longer making them thanks to GM. Replaced the brakes once. Alternator Drive Belt in 2006. The starter recently & tires in 2007. Otherwise just changed the oil religiously.

Extremely Reliable! Large cargo room when laying the rear seats down flat. I hauled bookcases,dressers & chairs with no problem. Newer models weren't as wide to accommodate a change in rear lights.

This is not a luxury car and was plenty comfortable for me driving to work everyday but my husband thought comfort could have been improved.