Used 2003 Pontiac Vibe Base Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Pontiac Vibe

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

Nifty, fuel efficient, car. What's not to love?
By murphy2893

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 130,000 miles on it. It's now at 176,000 miles and it's still going strong. Only routine maintenance and I drive the poor thing down what seems like some of the worst "paved" roads that New England has to offer. Amazingly reliable, no problems whatsoever. My favorite part is that I average 30mpg. It's an awesome little car that's bigger on the inside than it looks. Its exterior is also much more stylish than that of its sister car, the Toyota Matrix. It's fun to drive, has a great turning radius, and easy maneuverability. If I had to complain, I'd say the dashboard isn't my favorite set-up (it's sectioned off), it can be a little noisy at higher speeds, and the acceleration can lag a bit. But honestly, that was a tough list to come up with. The only reason I won't have it soon is because I'm giving it to my sister so that she can I have a car. I wish they still made them, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I love this car!

Worst car I've ever bought
By pra22

I bought this car used
3 months ago (with 118,000 miles), and in the 3000 miles I've driven it, it has needed TWO catalytic convertors! It also needed repair on a window that was cobbled together (which of course, I couldn't see).
It is also the NOISIEST car I've ever had.
It revs up alot each morning when it is cold outside until I've traveled a few miles at higher speeds. I rue the day I bought this car and I'm afraid to drive it for fear the transmission will be next. I clearly have a lemon.

Roomy, handles well.

NEVER ever buy a car with TWO catalytic convertors because they are $500 a piece. Also when buying a used car, be sure to: 1) turn off all radios, blowers so you can hear the engine 2) check thoroughly for burn holes (push front seat backs apart from seat so you can see into cracks - big burn hole I discovered later) 3) get into back seat and thoroughly inspect 4) look at ceiling for wear and dirt 5) roll and unroll all windows completely up and down (mine fell out of track when lowered certain amount) 6) if warranty is offered - take it 7) look in trunk and check for signs of rust 8) don't buy a car that has more than average number of owners (look at car fax)

I still love my car!!
By Kathy

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Clocked over 120K in 10 years and still going strong. Fits everything I ever needed it to...Camping Gear, Kayaks on the roof, 46in flat screen, my 3 dogs, and dozens of 8foot 2x4s for the occasional home project. I live in PA and its been to Florida, Boston, New Orleans and everywhere in between. Its my first choice for long trips and gets great gas mileage-upper 30's on the highway. Great in all weather, even snow, but good all weather tires are a must. Odd problems are just starting to happen now...need to change the Catalytic Converter, first fuse just blew last month and something is wrong with the vent in the gas tank. Filling up takes forever. But still the best car ever!

Cruise controll, Auto headlights. Moon and Tunes Package with 6 speakers and sun roof. Also added aftermarket rain gaurds and Auto start. Couln't live without either.

More room surrounding the outlet. I never use it as most plug are larger the the standard lamp plug. Even cell phone plugs don't fit. Also would be nice to have an audio output jack for the stereo.

Great Car
By JohnR

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Vibe with 33,000 miles and now has 108,000 after my 5 years of ownership. Oil changes every 5000 miles. First brake job when it was in the 90k range. Changed the belt and did a few other preventative items at the same time but that's it. Car has been great and is zippy enough to be fun to drive. Ugly GM radio but the sound is good. My drivers window rattles a bit but it's the only one so there may have been some damage to it before I got it. All in all, this is a great car if you are looking for a reliable, sporty, and convenient vehicle to own.

Who says you need a 1/2 ton pickup for your average run to Home Depot? Just fold down the back seats and open the hatch. Plenty of room for hauling 99% of the time.

I think the radio is terribly ugly but that's just a personal preference. Other than that that can't say I'd recommend anything at this price point.

Great on gas, but poor engine
By Kristy

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my vibe because I have heard such good reviews, and I liked the fact that it is a Toyota in disguise, but I am truly dissapointed. The check engine light came on and when checked out, it turns out I need a catalytic converter, also it has started losing oil so a compression test was done and I need a new engine also, which is why my cat. converter went bad. I have been sooo upset because I dont have the money to just go and put a whole new engine in and I have to have a car. Regular oil changes have always been done in this car so we dont know why the engine has went bad. I hope everyone else has better luck with their vibe.

it sits fairly high, I like where the gear shift is located, I love the fold down seats, very nice when hauling stuff. I like the interior design, though some parts are cheaply made.