Used 2008 Pontiac Torrent Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Pontiac Torrent

View reviews for a specific Torrent model:

Great looking SUV
By Ryan

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is thinking about getting an SUV. This is my first SUV and I love the look and comfort of it. XM radio in the vehicle is a great feature that I can't believe I lived with out before. This is a very roomy vehicle, yet still very sporty looking.

XM radio! There is something for everyone on XM. Also the space in the vehicle you can move so much in there.

Better cup holders the one that comes out from the center console is very cheap I swear I am going to break it by looking at it.

Love my Torrent GXP
By JRagan

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my '08 Torrent GXP about a month ago. It is Carbon Black. Mine came fully loaded with DVD entertainment system which included a pair of Panasonic wireless headphones. It also has OnStar and XM raidio. The sound system sounds great and movies really rock coming out of the cars speakers. The wireless headphones sound great and are much much better than I thought they would be. I really like how the 60/40 rear seat can slide almost 8 in. I must say the GXP's 264 hp engine really delivers.It gives you plenty of get up and go and lots of power to tow. I drove mine through the Rocky Mtns towing over 3000 lbs and had no problem on the very steep grades. This is my first SUV and I love it.

264 hp auto/manual engine, DVD entertainment system, XM radio CD player & speaker system, OnStar, paint & wheels, tow package, sliding rear seat, factory remote start, driver info computer, roof rack, dash apperance and layout, heated seats, upholstery material and color, safety features.

Front power port needs to be closer to the dash (no big deal though). An extra power port in the rear hatch area would be nice for a powered cooler/heater.

Love This Car
By Carol

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Love how this handles-what a difference between the Torrent and my Jeep. Lot of room, comfortable and smooth ride. For the price you can not beat it.

Moving back seat, lot of leg room, ride is smooth.

I agree with other reviewers that the cup holders are bad, I miss the extra pockets in cargo area to hold items, cannot find mat to fit the cargo area. And I miss the handles over the doors and no clothes hanger hooks.

Comfortable Cross Over
By Rob L.

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This is a very good riding cross over type SUV. It gets very good gas mileage on the highway - about 25 to 26. The controls are pretty good, but the steering and handling on the base model is unacceptably sloppy. If you like this vehicle, get the GXP model which has a different and tighter steering system. The center console could be a lot better and more useful - it lacks storage and the center mounted power window buttons are not intuitive.

XM Radio; good gas mileage; comfortable ride. Sight and sound package (stereo upgrade and sunroof)

Tighter steering; The night time instrument lighting (red on red) is very difficult to read at a glance. The list price on this vehicle seems high compared to Korean competition - you should be able to do pretty well with dealer and factory incentives. The console between the seats could be better

I'm in love
By Joey

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I just brought this baby home and I'm smitten. I test drove several SUVs over Labor Day weekend (the 2008s were priced to move). I didn't even know that Pontiac had a crossover (I was familiar with the Equinox, which is the same vehicle). I was about to pull the Trigger on a Santa Fe, which actually had a nicer interior with more storage, but once I test drove the Pontiac, I was sold. The 3.4 L pulls that rig right up to speed with no problem, and the handling was tight like a sports sedan. Compared to the Santa Fe and the Escape, the Torrent won on performance alone (and good looks). Also, I averaged 26 MPG on the 120 mile freeway drive home. Not bad for a big vehicle like this.

Pontiac grille, performance, ride, handling, AUX input jack, and my favorite: The beautiful two-tone interior (black and tan). The driver information center, with trip computer is nice. Being able to check my exact tire pressure from inside the car, while driving. Great gas mileage too!

Not nearly as many storage bins as the others that I tested. Could have better cup holders. No manual shift mode (preferred for mountain driving), rear glass does not open separate from the lift gate. None of these things are deal breakers for me, but they are legitimate gripes.