Used 2003 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Pontiac Sunfire

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (66 reviews )

Okay for economic reasons
By Heather

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2003 when I as a single mother who needed a new car. It was not the best decision I have ever made. The car is very uncomfortable and loud on the road. The gas mileage is great but I will not buy another one. There are better economic choices.

Gas mileage, cup holders

Everything else.

One of the best Cars I have ever owned!
By daveinsc

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My Sunfire is a beautiful, reliable, fuel effiecient little car. With the spoilers, and front air dam, it looks and drives like a sports car. I am not sure how much horse power 4 cylinder engine puts out, but this is a very fast car for having such a small stock engine. I can cruise at 70 to 80 depending on the speed limit and still get great gas mileage. I can drive 1000 miles on 3 tanks of gas, and still have 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank left. If I were asked to recommend this car I would definitly say buy it! I am buying a new pickup, but I am keeping the Sunfire. It is a very reliable car, and I expect to get at least another 100,000 miles out of it or more. It has 34,000 now and no problems

My favorite features are the ease of access to the radio and cd player. I love the body style the and the rear spoiler, front air dam and factory installed dual chrome exhaust make this car stand out from others in it's class. It is a very sporty car that is fun to drive and great on gas.

I only wish this car had something other than cloth interior with the flower design on the seats. I guess they are flowers. I never really figured that out yet, and also. a rear a/c outlet would be nice. Those are not complaints, just things I wish I would have been able to have a choice on.

You Get what you Pay for.
By Tami

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Even though the car looks like a 40,000 dollar sportscar, it is about as good as a used car with a new paint job! I've put more parts on that car in the first 50,000 miles than I put on my first car (used). I replaced two turn signal controls, the fuel pump, the left and the right power window motors, the pasanger seat adjusting handle, the heater temperature control and the seat belt lock. On top of that, you hear every sound outside. It's like riding a bus. Did I forget to mention that the car will slide on spit. If it rains slightly, you should buckle up and say your prayers, that is if the buckle works.

It starts.

Parts! Ffor what I've paid in parts and install for the first year I had it. It would have been worth it to invest in a better built car.

Loved my car, now having major problems
By P. Kobasic

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for 4 years and loved it when I first bought it, but now I am having problems. I just had to spend $500 to get the brakes fixed and I only have 44,000 miles on the car! The cylinders were cracked and brake fluid was leaking and the brake pads and shoes had to be replaced. Now, my window doesn't work and it will be another $400 to replace the motor. After reading other's comments, the windows are a problem with this car. Beware that your brakes may be a problem too, even if your mileage is less than 50,000. I will never buy a Pontiac again and hope I can hold off having anymore major problems with this car for another year or so.

I love the body of the car and the interior is nice for a lower priced car.

Don't buy this car.

Own one more than a year
By Monica

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have not been pleased with this vehicle at all! The car had electrical problems from day one! No headlights, taillights, brake lights, you name it it broke. Trunk would not latch after a few months after purchase. The plastic interior cracks and falls off. Now the car has internal engine problems. Been broke down for a few weeks and it will cost over a grand to fix one of the problems. I have called GM several times but they say there is nothing they can do. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. I never owned a new car until this one. I will never buy another Pontiac after this experience.

Do not use the 2.2 engine! I have not heard anything good about them. Make the car out of something besides plastic.