Used 2005 Pontiac Montana Minivan Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Pontiac Montana Minivan

View reviews for a specific Montana model:

Terrible Van - we are going to Toyota
By CD

2005 Pontiac Montana Minivan SV6 4dr Minivan w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Very disappointing. We have bought only GM for 20 years. Automatic sliding doors open while driving and won't latch. Mystery to dealer and GM. They could care less this is a serious safety issue. We are stuck having to go in and have the doors fixed once every few months. GM customer service tells us it is fixed each time so what the heck do we want from them?? We are so unreasonable to want a car that works Fabric inside stains easily despite many coats from the dealer of Scotch-Guard. Cruise control accelerates by red-lining RPM's causing loss of control of the vehicle. JD Powers gives this van its worst ratings across the board. Hello Toyota - GM doesn't care if they lose a customer.

None

Recall the entire van and help your customers get into a quality van so GM doesn't lose more business - this is not a good time for GM to tick-off their customers

Lumpy quality
By Marky61

2005 Pontiac Montana Minivan MontanaVision 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The good news is the Montana is a well designed minivan that eats up the miles comfortably and returns good gas mileage. The bad news is the van is built with cheap plastic inside that readily falls apart. The rear hatch pull strap broke in my wife's hand after only a few months. The transmission hesitates a little and I fear it will break down sooner than later. Wind caught the driver's door last week and yanked it hard against the hinges (fully open) and bent the top hinge. Talk about cheaply made! Now the door whistles on the highway. Looking for a good bodyshop that can fix it properly. These vans are very cheaply made!

Comfortable seats; long-distance cruiser; decent gas mileage; inexpensive to buy used (steep depreciation).

Better interiors (Pontiac listened - the SV6 is way better), stronger unibody and improved transmission. I'd like to buy American, but I'm afraid my next van will be a Toyota.

Nice Van
By storm

2005 Pontiac Montana Minivan SV6 4dr Minivan w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in Dec. 05. No problems at 43,000 miles of mostly city driving. Only issue is with tire wear, need to rotate every 5,000 miles or rear tires will cup. Overall very nice van for the price.

Comfort of leather captain chairs.

Worst Vehicle Ever
By KD Coughlan

2005 Pontiac Montana Minivan SV6 4dr Minivan w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Traded '02 Montana, first day knew I had made big mistake. Alternator, air conditioning, CD player, OnStar, side doors, first year 14 times in for service. Will never purchase another GM product. This vehicle is unsafe. Unfortunately, it is worth nothing. Anyone that does not agree with this does not realize the poor quality of this vehicle. On my third set of tires, cannot keep an alignment on it. Also just replaced brakes for the third time. I am not a reckless driver. Car dealers will not even accept these vehicles on trade in, will have to give it away. Buy a Toyota, I know I will be from now on.

Great value for a good vehicle
By Chris Luery

2005 Pontiac Montana Minivan SV6 4dr Minivan w/1SB (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We enjoy the Montana SV6. We put on a lot of miles (now 117,000 miles) each year and live in a rural area of Quebec where the winters are harsh and the snow is deep. I have the extended version and have found that it has good control on the road year round. A few problems, which were limited in scope and not serious. Consisted of the following: slight rattle in dash - easily fixed, rear windshield wiper motor has given up - will need to be replaced, paint delamination next to rear center taillight - dealer will fix. I have worked inside an Asian Automotive manufacturing plant and find the quality here relatively close but the value is in the price - probably a third cheap

I like the design and look of the extended model in dark blue. I find the fuel mileage very good and find the on the road control stable and solid. The way that it moves through the deep snow is very good.

Design better front/rear windshield operations. Replace second row smaller seats with larger seats. Rear door should have reinforcement so that when you close the door you do not cause the door panel to crease. After original tires were done I switched to Michelin HydroEdge tires - great idea.