Used 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Review after 4 years of reliable and fun performance
By 218

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I aquired my 2006 Grand Prix(base) in March 2009 and I have to say it is an excellent performer and reliable daily driver. In the time that I have owned my Gp, I have had little to no problems with it.

The car can definitely makes a daily drive exciting with it's 200hp-230 torque as it has defeated many a foe. It also responds very well to modifications, I've placed a CAI, ZZP 304 SS headers, downpipe, and catback with Flowmaster Super 44s. It sounds badass to finalize.
My friends praise its quickness and superb ride quality on the road, its a bliss to drive daily and a joy when the go-pedal is abused.

In short, it is an excellent car and I would reccomend one to all.

First and foremost, the 3.8L V6. It is an excellent engine, extremenly reliable and potent even in it's base form. Second would be the exterior looks, just drop dead gorgeuos. She still mesmorizes me and I often gaze at it repeatedly. Pontiac made a beautiful car! Third is the ride quality, it drives so well as I am told and I definitely agree! Highway driving is, as I have said, a relaxing bliss. Fourth is the interior lighting and comfy bucket seats. The Pontiac red really makes the gauges look cool and sporty, the design is cool. The only improvement would have been better materials for the dash. Trying to shine that GM plastic is a bother, though only on the door panels.....

Troubles are as follows: 1. Excess oil consumption on my car, it burned its oil and need a fill-up after only 1K miles instead of the 5K for Mobil 1 Full Synth. Some 3.8 sedans/cars have this issue, some do not. It's manageable but annoying. 2. Its on it's second trans speed sensor, with the third coming soon. Possible trans issues but then again I have run her hard in the past so this issue can be attributed to me. 3. Some cracks on the dash, and a clip broke for the gauge bezel. No big deal really. Thats it, no other problems to speak of.

190,000 Miles Later......
By rose38478

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, what it said. I put 190,000+ miles on my Pontiac. Bought it 4.5 years ago, just traded it and I miss it horribly. No mechanical trouble except basic maintenance and 1 thermostat. Paint stood up well to the test of time. Only thing interior wise is my dashboard cracked a little way up by the window. Other than that, stayed great. Seats didn't tear, rug didn't wear out. The engine gave you enough power to get where you needed to go quickly. I wish Pontiac had stuck around. I would have bought another.

2006 Grand Prix GT Supercharged
By dcole08

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have had this car for over 2 years now, and I must say I love it. I honestly don't know how I stumbled upon it because I was initially looking for either a Maxima, or a Charger. Somehow I stumbled upon this car and it is awesome. It looks awesome and turns heads all of the time because it is different. Mine (all black with black interior) is rare where I am and I haven't seen one like it around. People love riding in it, and my wife loves to drive it. It's very comfortable to drive, and I have never had any issues with it. The 3800 motor in it is a legend in the car world, and mechanics salivate when they see the 3800 v6 it wrapped with headers and a supercharger.

Supercharger, automatic start, 3800 v6, body style, interior, comfort, reliability

None

Love Supercharger
By sigmatuan1989

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Left over 2006, bought with vendor pricing in 2007, traded in Bonneville.
The price was the deciding factor, it was cheaper than all others.
I would have bought another Bonneville but they were discontinued.
The car is fast for the price.
I would recommend simply on the low price.
It has never left me stranded.
Compared to Impala from the same factory it is lower to ground, faster, and less back seat room.

Supercharger power and take off, having driven non-supercharged GM v-6, this engine is great. Fuel economy is 26 mpg combined which considering the power is impressive. I did test drive an Impala v8 but it had too much torque steer and sucked gas.

The interior is cheap and showing wear. The front seat had to be replaced in warranty and I only weigh 175. Rear calipers/e-break stick and need replaced. This car is not big enough for business and will be given to my son when I get a larger car next year. At the time I would have bought a crown vic if the civilian versions weren't so slow or a Charger if the hemi wasn't so high priced at the time.

Realiable is the way
By pontiacmall

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car 2 years ago with the intention of having it temporarily and then trading it in. It has proven to be realiable after I added another 60k to the odometer. Just recently had issue with heater core which caused no heat and air. Once fixed it worked like a charm. I also put a twin mattress in the trunck with back seats down and was able to close the trunk. No pick up truck necessary!!May be time to get rid of as the kids are complaining they don't have enough back seat leg room of which I have to agree is a little on the short side. Just hope I can find something as realiable as the Grand Prix.....

Performance (power), trunk size, remote start, exterior looks