Used 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

GXP 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic - (69 reviews )

4th Pontiac Grand Prix
By Dena

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the 4th Grand Prix that I have had. I love these cars & hate the fact that GMC has stopped making them. I recently rented a 2010 Lacrosse for a road trip, & missed my car a lot. Grand Prix's are reliable from my experience, & will take the best care possible of this one. Drives like a dream, comfortable, enjoy everything about it. I just put new rims on it and have had several compliments already. I am very protective over this car, & know that I will get years of enjoyment with it. Nothing negative to say, I have been Blessed.

The controls in the steering column, the liability that only comes with having a Grand Prix, & the wide wheel traction for better road handling.

Set covering, mine are black and shows dirt very easily. Also would like to have seen a truck opening through the back setting area (had that before, where you pull down the arm rest and there was a little door that lead into the truck).

Wonderful Pontiac
By Bob

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

2 1/2 half years experience, 31500 miles. Replaced the battery this week, no other issues. Changed Bridgestones for Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S - 10,000 miles on the Goodyears, just do it. Upgrades - K&N Series 63 intake system, Magnaflow muffers (yeah they sound mean), upgraded floor mats and piano black dash trim kit. Adding LED taillights soon. White exterior/sand ultra lux leather interior. No Nav or optional paint. A+ build quality. Have some fun? Disconnect the battery overnight - drive the GXP hard the next day over several drive cycles. Becomes a REAL hot rod (I promise). Rare model - turns heads. Almost 20 mpg town w/27 highway. Wanna race?

Rarity/great looks - FAST - did I say FAST? Superior fuel economy - use premium only. Heads up display, paddle shifter. Details to a very high standard - red brake calipers with those plated wheels - A+. Flip down the seats? Becomes a pickup truck (not really but you get the picture).

K&N Series 63 intake system. Magnaflow mufflers, dash kit, floor mats/truck mat. LED tail lights. Use Meguiars products only for exterior maintenance. Treat yourself to the mufflers - then use the remote start and listen to your GXP "talk" to you as you walk up. Make your friends jealous.

Pontiac Got Outclassed...By itself
By Seth

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I got a lease and I just recently turned it in and got a new lease on a Pontiac G8. And man, everything the GP does right, the G8 does so much better and all the flaws from the GP vanish. But this is for the GP, though. The Grand Prix is a great car just to push the the limits. But when it comes down to business, it did terribly. I bumped my head in the back, causing the sunroof to get dislodged. I had a headache and a car repair bill. I was so mad. Also annoyances include archaic stereo system that looks like my old 1998 Grand Am. It's ugly inside and out. I was not satisfied at all.

Neat information panel, good acceleration, good value, trunk space

Terrible build quality, worst back seats in the world, the front aren't so good either, 1990s stereo, information center is distracting, terrible resale value

Great Car, the best I've driven yet.
By TjO

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am totally amazed by the review and the specs given on this website being that they are showing the lowest numbers yet by any other website. Seems that "Dan" the editor must have had a rough day or just doesn't like Pontiacs. Anyways, I've had my share of Fords, Dodges, and VW's etc. and to date this is the best car for the money I've driven. No squeaks rattles or odd engine problems, just perfect.

Standard features everywhere.

Too late now but those summer only tires are a bad choice for winter driving. Understeer - YES! but then again how many people do you know that take their car to the track and race it. Straight line - perfect.

Bad brakes and bad Breaks from Pontiac!
By General Lee GXP

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Please know that I am a Loyal GM owner! Unfortunately, even with the high performance and fun driving factor, I will Never own another Pontiac and I have owned Numerous Pontiacs over the past 40 years. With fewer than 11K-miles, Pontiac had to replace the throttle-body which left me stranded on the freeway for 2 hours. With fewer than 13K-miles, I had to pay out of pocket for front brake pads And Disc Rotors; almost $700! I had to replace those Awful Bridgestone tires on front with Kumhos at the same time as the brake fix! I drove it from coast to coast right after the Disc replacement and it started scoring the front rotors Again! Neither the dealers involved not Pontiac was of any help!

Acceleration with acceptable fuel mileage.

Typical crappy stereo/nav system. Pontiacs I have owned have Always had the worst stereo even the upgrade ones! Too much cheap-looking plastic trim, too!