Used 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Good ole American car
By middleage

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I originally bought a 99 gtp that went 154000 miles before a deer got it. Couldn't bare to pay close to 20k for an new econobox, so bought the last of this generation in 2007 for half that. It is a comfortable muscle car. Acceleration and long distance cruising are its forte. Handling is okay but sloppy when really pushed. The transmission does this clunk at times when starting from a stop?? The "leather" is more like vinyl and the rear seats are not adult comfortable over the long haul. The hvac setting doesn't work in the first 2 positions. The brakes fade under repeated hard use. A 5 speed [m]transmission would have made this car much quicker. 15 mpg city 26 mpg hwy. Feels solid but fat.

Looks, Acceleration, practical. Value. Thus far reliable. Bose sound with the steering wheel controls. HUD. Decent fuel economy for a big powerful car [ I have a heavy foot ] No snob appeal. Decent handling. Space for size.

5 or 6 speed [a/m] transmission. Better brakes. Tighter suspension. Quicker steering. I'd prefer cloth to cheap leather. The GPs after this generation are not good looking and drive heavier? What am I saying Pontiac is dead, but this was one of their best vehicles.

Love it
By Kim

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I purchased my 2003 new in 2004. I leased a 2000 and loved it, but didnt like the look of the 04s, so went out of state to buy it. Totally love the car, driving is never boring, and the acceleration is fantastic. Some minor repairs: brakes, thermostat, and a few other things, but nothing major. Sometimes I think about buying a new car, but I don't think there is one out there with this quality and this much fun to drive. Still looks great!

drivers seat heater. handling, turning, speed. overall appearance, big but sporty.

Driver seat a bit hard, feels thin on bottom. Blower hasnt worked on dial #1 or 2 for a couple of years, so on 3 or higher can get pretty warm. Cant figure out the antiglare RV mirror: I don't get it and the reflection is always dark: might be broken?

great American design and quality
By save the brand

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have never been sorry I bought this GM product.Overall reliability has been excellent.The engine has good power and good fuel economy,and it SOUNDS like a real engine. The handling with the low profile tires and alloy wheels is excellent. Ride quality is very good,a bit on the firm side,w/good road feel. This car has never had a 4 wheel alignment and tracks straight as an arrow. No probs with the with the exhaust,battery,or even a belt!I have replaced only 2 components- the gas cap and the blower motor resistor(that was a tough do-it-yourself-job, but I managed).The fit and finish is very good,with virtually no squeaks or rattles in 5+years. &I know my wife is safe in it.I would buy again.

very good interior comfort and ergonomics, very good engine and tranny, great styling, perfect size, high-quality components throughout. solid handling. easy-to-use-radio and other controls. tweeters on the A-pillars. good ventilation system.

very few. a florescent blue or green backlight in the dash instead of red, which is a bit hard on the eyes. a little more passing power from the 3.1 v-6

Never buy another Pontiac
By Gary Keister

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Let's start out by saying I have been a Chevy/gm person my whole life and grew up in a family the same way. However I am so disappointed in my grand prix at the constant repairs with such low mileage. At 20,000 had the transmission pulled and repaired along with a wiring harness. Soon after the car had a very bad oil leak. Now at 57,000 the abs light is on water pump needs replacing. I have coolant running out and will cost me around $800 because the labor is long . GM decided to make you tear 1/2 the engine apart to do this job. I never thought I would drive anything but gm but I am going to do the thing that bothers me most, buy foreign.

Nice to drive

Needs more head room. Get rid of the dexcool (coolant) I did some research and it appears this wears out gaskets quicker than normal causing problems, big lawsuit going on right now.

Roxanne, my grand prix
By new guy

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I picked up my grand prix at a dealership that came to my town. she's white, with a loverly tint and 18" chrome rims. Her first big test was when I got a dui because my dumb ass was flying down a dirt road. I sideswiped a sign, lost control, and flew through a barbed wire fence into a deep field of mud. It sounded like it was supercharged for a minute till i found out i had to replace the water pump. After doing so it runs smooth and is still sexy and sleek.

I like how it's a roomy sedan but feels like a sporty coupe, the sound system is amazing, it outperforms my magnum.

fuel economy!!