Used 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

First Car
By jdaily01

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2002 pontiac grand prix se for my first car only 6months ago. When I got it, it had 122000miles on it, which though high isn't too high. Since buying this car, I've had 3 windows crap out on me, only fixing the driver side one. It cost about $350 at a dealership to get the window fixed, luckily I found a local mechanic to do it for a lot cheaper. Though now the ignition won't recognize the car as being in park, therefore not releasing the key. Problems just keep adding up, I am able to bypass the the ignition to release the key but I cannot recommend this car. There are multiple reviews online showing that I am not alone, pontiac uses cheap parts making problems more probable.

Appearance and gas mileage.

Better quality materials when building the car.

Got my money's worth...
By gportoulas

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 02 grand prix back in 2005 and it had 50k on it already. I made it to 164k miles with no major problems until now. The biggest thing I needed work on was a catalytic converter. I had minor leaking of antifreeze and I found out it was due to the plastic intake mannifold. I guess GM cheaped out when they used plastic and that part cracks easy. MY antifreeze leaks more now and the heating panel is shot. Like I said, I put an extra 114k miles on it over 6.5 years. It did me well.

Realible. Good for long rides.

Use aluminum instead of plastic for the gaskets/intake mannifold.

Best thing since sliced bread
By blaze5222

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought my wife a 02 grand prix gt.... and it rocks.... sure since it is used and has about 65000 miles on it.... there are a few minor issues... but for a used car, I never would have thought I would feel safe sending my wife the 150 miles to the beach without me..

I love the power of this car!

We've had ours for 8 years now..
By oldies4me

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Still low miles, but we can really Haul in it- we should have a SUV!- I mean 25 gal water, a cooler, tools, clothes, bedding, two dog kennels (in back seat of course!) and other stuff for going to our lakelot half the summer.. We had experience with the 3.1 v6 in a Corsica which went well over 100000 miles,; this one has about 80000 so far (retired; don't drive a lot anymore).. The nice surprise was fuel economy- 37 on a trip going 65-75 mph most of the way. Solid, great handling, loves to cruise at 70+.. Trouble? None- just did brakes first time.
If I could find a cherry GTP coupe I'd keep it as a collectible!

fuel economy, room in trunk, stance, handling, visibility.

Restart the Pontiac Division!

600 miles to a full tank of gas
By dcharger

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

love the car, got 209,000 miles on it now,,car was great on gas, but now have trans problem, and some motor problem, but after running it and dumping money in it, i still like it,, but like everything, it dont last forever, smooth ride, never cared for GMs, but this was the only good car i think they made, well thats that

gas milage

GM need to lower the price, make tran and engine last longer in stead of 5/50000 warr,, and get ride of half of all that cheap plastic lol