Used 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Rating my Grand AM
By Grand AM

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Other than a problem (on going) with computer saying "engine needs service, which can not be turned off, the car runs great needing only new batteries. Takes life out of them quicker in hot Florida.

Automatic driving devices. Rear seats that fold down.

Better computer operation. Slightly larger trunk area...or lower the trunk entrance deck to allow for carrying of larger items. Many times have to resort to back seat.

Watch out for the catalytic conv!!!!
By Stan the man

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this brand new when 0% first came out. Good car overall. Luckily, I have escaped the tranny problems so far, we'll see. All you owners out there, BEWARE. The catalytic converter on these, the GTs, and the GTPs are bad. There IS a warranty to 80,000 miles on the SE, and they raised it to 120,000 for the others. I have an SE. Got it fixed at 79,600 miles, didn't even know about the warranty. sweet! Oh, by the way. This thing cost 21 grand new, and is now worth 5. Can you say "Honda" from now on!!!!!!

Exterior styling is beautiful. Handles very well, very stable. Good stereo, not great. Lots of room, nice sized trunk.

Watch that catalytic converter!!! As always, more power, better fuel economy. Oh yeah, GM, could you figure out a way to make your cars not plummet in value the minute we drive them off the lots? I know you can't, but thought I'd ask. hehe It's Hondas and Toyotas for this boy now.

Typical car
By OK

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought my GTP in January 2003 as my "dream car". Before that I had a 1997 Intrepid with the 3.5 engine. This car is much more exciting in both the exterior and interior with the excellent bose sound system and HUD, etc. The performance was good, but not that much better than my intrepid. The transmission does not shift nearly as smoothly as the Intrepid, it feels like you are "beating" on it no matter how careful you are. I had the tranny checked out by two different shops and they both say it's OK. So no big deal. I had a wheel bearing go out at about 40k miles. My windshield washer pump went out at 60k. Had the belts and thermostat replaced. Nothing major. Overall I'm pretty satisfied.

Exterior design, HUD, bose system

dual heated seats, I wish I had automatic climate control.

not too happy
By KD

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

had to get a new transmission after 65,000 and I don't even drive rough

knock on wood (can't complain)
By can't complain

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have seen some of the reviews and have to say that either the only people giving the reviews are people who have had probs or i'm extremely lucky. Bought my 01 GP SE 2 years ago with almost 28k on it and now have 70k on it. Only prob was computer needed reset while still under warranty, new radio fuse. I've had no major issues thankfully. I have had some noise occasionally when I start the car which hasn't been figured out but never had a prob starting the car. Gas mileage seems to be getting a little worse with age/more mileage. Piece holding glove box up when opened broke so now it falls out sometimes when opened. That's it...minor at best. I would suggest this car for sure!

Pick up, speakers are excellent for factory, auto everything, fog lights on the cheaper SE, styling of gear shift, handles great in corners, looks sporty even for a 4 door, dash look and accessories, and probably most of all...reliability.

Cruise should be on a steering wheel. It's annoying having to find the little switch to accelerate/turn on & off when windshield wipers are on. Speaking of which, wipers position slides easily (changes position) when on and using turn signal. Use stronger "stops" for glove box.