Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

This car has been great to me.
By seiichi79

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

This car definitely served its purpose. Have 3 kids now so I'm going to have to get rid of it. Which kinda stinks. Even though I can fit 3 car seats in the back it's a little squished. Great power and pedal response. Lots more interior room than you would think just by looking at it and a lot of trunk space. The only problem I have had with it was the front brake rotors were warped when I purchased it but it only cost about $175 to have them fixed. Other than that this car has been awesome.

The Bose system sounds great. The car has a great body design. Great power and handling for a sedan. Very reliable car!

Poor headlight lenses. Almost all GP's I see have at least 1 bad headlight lens and you have to replace the whole unit. Mileage. And when it rains hard it's hard to see out the back window. Maybe a rear wiper would have been a good idea.

Grand Prix A.K.A Tranny Problems
By mishmish

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

I love this car but hate it at the same time. The car really is a eye catcher. This is my 2nd prix first one (96)tranny went out at 110k, my current one went out 111k and then went a 2nd time at 135k. I almost forgot I was told the 99 Prixs only fit 99 trannys. Fun fun. The frames on them are crap so if you wanna add more horsepower good luck on not cracking the frame. Headlights fog up with dirt. Good luck getting up any hills in the snow without all 4 studded tires.

It's a really nice looking car. Doesn't take a lot to make it look hotter. Quick perfomance and handling. Can keep up with a lot of cars.

Transmission. The weird noises from the engine. Bring back to low gear start like in the 96. Stronger frame.

Good Old Pontiac!
By prdsubrbndrvr

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

My parents are the original owners since new! I drive the Grand Prix whenever I come home because I love it, nice break from my Suburban! The Grand Prix has 114,000 miles on it and still resembles a newer car. The 3.8L engine is undestructable and has never failed us! Just usual oil changes, and minimal problems. My dad will run this car until it can go no longer, which should not be anytime soon.

3.8L V6, Ice A/C (5 vents), Bose sound, steering wheel controls, huge backseat, pass through trunk, Pontiac reliability, fire engine red, spoiler!

Everyone has complained of the window motors which we have experienced too, but i say its better than mechanical problems.. none of those!

Nice but has its flaws
By Norm Ried

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

Overall decent buy. I bought the car wit about 153,000 miles mostly highway miles. I now hav 160 and so far had a dirty EGR valve, bad O2 sensor, and a faulty crank shaft position sensor. The position sensor cost $160 to fix. The O2 sensor was a great opportunity to upgrade to a performance sensor $80. The car attaches itself to you. Great looking, and great open throttle sound bouth inside and out. Keeps up with many newer tuner cars!

Engine sound, especially after a cold air intake ($280). Acceleration. Styling, and all right stock system.

Too much work just to change spark plugs. Seriously! It seema easy until you try. The plug is stuck unforgivingly to the boot. and the 3 plugs in the back are a pain to get to. When it rains all night, there is water in the car. Headlights are too dim.

Grand Prix GT Coupe
By antihero70

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

This car has been amazing since the date of purchase. Currently at 200,000 Km. I've only owned rear wheel drive vehicles before so going into a front wheel drive was going to require an adjustment but this car feels like it is RWD with power on tap and it never lets me down. Only repair issue was the front end snapped ($2000 repair job from GM) but that's been it for 6 years of ownership. Not like the average GM vehicle, brakes actually last for a long time, no head gasket issues, transmission doesn't kick, interior plastic parts haven't snapped off yet!! Another great thing is the amount of aftermarket parts for this car (projector headlights, body skirts, spoilers...)

The power baby!! only states 200 hp, I think thats a lie, it feels much more powerful. The body styling (I've done a slight GTO mod, added functional intake hood scoops) The exhaust note is awesome too, I can always tell when another grand prix has passed my home by the sound of the exhaust.

The stereo has to be amplified, its so weak, too bassy and no treble. The instrument cluster is starting to dim to such a point that its hard to see it at night. Keyless entry died very soon into ownership, battery replacement was not the issue, actual sensor inside vehicle has stop working.