Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Good Old Pontiac!
By prdsubrbndrvr

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My parents are the original owners since new! I drive the Grand Prix whenever I come home because I love it, nice break from my Suburban! The Grand Prix has 114,000 miles on it and still resembles a newer car. The 3.8L engine is undestructable and has never failed us! Just usual oil changes, and minimal problems. My dad will run this car until it can go no longer, which should not be anytime soon.

3.8L V6, Ice A/C (5 vents), Bose sound, steering wheel controls, huge backseat, pass through trunk, Pontiac reliability, fire engine red, spoiler!

Everyone has complained of the window motors which we have experienced too, but i say its better than mechanical problems.. none of those!

been a pretty good car
By shadetreemechanic

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Bought vehicle @50k repair trans pressure solenoid @75k change plugs, wires, hoses, battery, tires, front wheel bearings @100k replace water in headlamps @110k change coolant and trans fluid @125k ac leak @145k squirrel cage fan squeal @150k lower intake manifold and valve covers @160k replace front brakes every 25k and rear every 50k change oil every 6k change air filter every 12k car has been maintained pretty well, and has performed acceptable. I have enjoyed the car, but am getting tired of it. The car now has significant squeak and rattle and the exterior is showing signs of rust. I will drive the vehicle until the next transmission failure, which I anticipate at 200k.

Great leg room for tall drivers. Sporty exterior. Decent performance for natural aspirated V6. Excellent Bose stereo. comfortable seats. Ok fuel economy at 24avg combined at 160K miles. Easy to drive, easy to maintain. popular engine.

Should have fixed the gasket problem when first discovered. Not ten years later. Better cup holders. More robust transmission. Less cheap plastic, interior feels like it was engineered by playskool. Increase speed of power seat.

It Sucks
By Anna

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I have had my Pontiac Grand Prix GT ever since I turned 16, 2 years ago. I have had many problems with it. My windows are broken and they fall down while going down the road. The headlights are so dim that it looks like I am driving down the road using a flashlight. The gauges don't work. My panels came off the inside of the car. After the fuel pump went out I have had NOTHING BUT TROUBLE out of it. I have been stranded on the side of the road at least 6 times within 3-4 months. I have seen that only the GT's are getting the bad reviews, and I know why! My cousin has a GTP and he has no trouble out of his, but my GT sucks. Everything is wrong with this car!

sunroof! the only thing that "still" works.

everything

Excedllent used car, fun to drive!
By GiGi

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I needed another car, wasn't in a position to buy a new car right, saw this car and liked it right away. I've always liked the Grand Prix, they look so darn good. I've only had mine for a couple of months but so far I have put about 1500 miles on it and have had no problems with it even though it is a 9 year old car. The previous owner took care of it and I love to drive it. It has power when I need it. It is roomy enough for my three children, it feels like a big car on the inside but it is sporty looking on the outside. It burns more gas than my previous car, which is to be expected since my Mazda was a 4 cylinder and this is a V6. I just love this car.

I like the way the interior is laid out. Everything can be reached very easily while driving. I have a pretty good sound system too.

I have had the same problem with my windows like I've read in other previews so that would need to be improved. Other than that I can think of nothing else.

Not bad
By E

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Really good car! Bought at 112000 now has 185000. No problems whatsoever except for an O2 sensor. Still picks up and goes. 3.8l engines are bulletproof in my opinion.

Front wheel drive with traction control will go through the snow. Never get stuck!

Improve power window motors