Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Great Car
By Joe

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner of this car and over the years it has been a very reliable vehicle. Currently, it has 160,000 miles and only minor issues. The HUD display used to dim out, but I fixed that by resoldering the connectors. Also the supercharger coupler required a change ( approx $50 DIY ). Minor leak around the oil pan and A/C needs service. But for a car that is 10yrs old with mileage, not bad and never left me stranded. BTW, for those knocking this car, I have seen new BMW or two stranded along Route 80 at times.

Performance & Practicality
By Love my gtp!

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

This car is serious your bang for your buck! I was either going to buy an iroc-z camaro or the grand prix gtp. I was so glad that I bought the grand prix. It is features everything that car buyers want. Pedal the metal acceleration, descent gas mileage, easy to maintain, fancy features such as leather heated seats, premium sound, supportive seats and interior, as well as good safety ratings. This car has everything. My car now has 133,000 miles on it and has never let me down. It fits five people easily and comfortably. Leg room should be no problem for anybody, nor head room. Overdrive works great on the highway with its AMAZING passing power. If you come across any grand prix, buy one!

Leather Seats, Heads-Up Display, CD player w/ equalizer, overhead console, supercharged 3.8 engine, heavy-duty 4t65e transmission, leg room, power seat, dual-climate control system, highway gas mileage. Pretty much everything!

GM needs to improve on the gaskets for the 3.8 engines. They all go bad sooner or later. The Climate system should also be improved. Performance isn't cheap when you use the required 93 octane. But what do you expect from something that snaps your head back and gets good gas mileage?

Must be very blessed
By TOM HALL

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan

After reading the reviews from other owners I must have gotten a good one!! After 139,000 miles have only replaced the brakes and normal maintenance. As for the antifreeze leak these cars came with the 100,000 fluid. Some people add the wrong type, thus causing the leak and in some cases the water pump. It is all about PROPER MAINTENANCE. AS for the Toyota and Honda reference I had a 1996 Toyota and the engine went south at 56,721 miles. With the same GOOD Maintenance.

Looks, power with the 3.8 and in my case RELIABILITY

GTP Lover!
By GTPlover!

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

I have owned my GTP for a while now. It is bright red with every option except sunroof. I love it! I would definitaly recommend this car to anybody. I have never had ONE problem with it. The only thing I wanted to replace before it got worse was the tire rod which could happen on any car. The performance is outstanding! Passing power is effortless and cornering is amazing! This car could honestly beat anything out there except for an LT1 or LS1 Camaro or Trans AM. Watch out FORD MUSTANG GT! All in all, if you can find a grand prix gtp, you should HIGHLY CONSIDER buying one! A++++++ PONTIAC!

Premium Sound System, Leather Upholstery, Power Seat, Equalizer, Audio controls on Steering Wheel, Performance Shifting Button, Dual Air Conditioning Zone, Large interior/car,

I cannot think of any. However, like any other 3.8 v6 or 3.8 v6 supercharger, the engine gets very hot over time. Even when you are not driving it hard. The doors are also very large but it makes it more easier to get out. Especially if somebody is in the backseat. Other than that, NONE!

Good vehicle with minor repairs
By jiggles

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan

Overall this has been a very good car. It's very comfortable and fun to drive. At about 100,000 miles I had to replace the alternator and water pump. I have also put two driver power window switches in it already. Other than that I've had no major problems and will buy another Pontiac when I get rid of this one.

Snow driving is a dream and handles corners very well.

A little more horsepower for such a big engine and better power window switches.