Used 2003 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Grand Am

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Mine is Great!
By Alml

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 03 Grand Am new as a left over in Feb. 04. I paid about $7000 less than sticker and it s the best car bargain I ever got. Since I've had I put 53000 NYC miles on it and it's only needed minor normal wear repairs that one would expect for a 03 model. Water pump was the most serious. I do go thru brakes more than I think i should but other than that this car has been good to me and I love it!

Sun Roof, Stereo, Acceleration

Brake wear is bad.

Nightmare
By Dude

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car since it was brand new and it's been nothing but a nightmare to own. I'm now seeing many of the problems I've had from other reviewers, including turn signal clicking when not in use,paint peeling, seals. Two weeks after purchase, the a/c went - needed air compressor and it's been downhill ever since. I only have 31,000 but have had the brake pedal assembly replaced due to car picking up speed, even going up hill, needed 2 batteries replaced in less than 3 mos., sunroof leaked, had ignition cylinder replaced 3 times because car wouldn't start; 3 days after most recent replacement, security light has been coming on while driving and dealership says can't disconnect. Run!

Looks good with sport composite hood, controls on steering wheel, fun to drive(when not in ths shop).

None, since Pontiac is now obsolete. And I can see why.

Great coupe for the money
By John

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I find this to be a very solid, great handling and fun to drive car. There is more then the rated horsepower available, especially considering the cars 3800 lbs. and it runs great!! I would advise i bought this NOT looking for a maintenance free car - it waas cherry but i replaced the coolant with NON DEX_COOL and a lower-tem thermostat - its a GM thing you need to correct but the engine will last foever - i'm a mechanic and trust me it will save you TONS of trouble. I've seen GM's like this take some serious abuse and keep on going!!!

The exterior styling, handling, and serious engine power off the line

inside, the pedals need spaced a little better and more clearance for my size 13 feet - a smaller diameter and telescoping steering wheel - better paint quality outside - keept this thing waxed or else!

Can't GM get it right
By TOm

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Looks good fun to drive; Many problems 1) pass lock 2) brakes 3)water pump 4) fuel pump If GM would make cars that did not continually FAIL. They could make money on selling cars. Brakes - were bad from fac. they didn't even clean the disks ( still greasy) ; Pass lock may have worked it they lubricated the cylinder: Water pump - they put this on the timing chain- Very bad design! Fuel pump - in the tank Very bad design. I think GM could design a good car they just chose not to!

good looks

redesign brakes; pass lock; water pump ; fuel pump. and guarantee these system to 100k so people believe the cars are better!!

Hate this freakin car SOOOOOOOOO Much
By P.O.S. car

2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car for 6 years and have nothing but problems with this car. Initially, the car was fun to drive and fulfilled its purpose. After about a year and a half, everything started going south. This piece of crap has front rotor, rear drum brakes. As such, the brakes wear down pretty quick. Have replaced brakes/pads/rotors 5 times so far. Have also replaced entire ignition system, fuel tank, fuel pump, and various other things. Bought car new for $14k and, so farm have spent about $7- $8k in repairs over the life of ownership. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING THIS CAR.

Scrap this car altogether and never ever make this car again.