Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

A Disapointment ...
By dnpstr

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Bought with just under 90,000 miles on it. My Grand Am is no doubt a very sharp looking car and the performance is great. But before you purchase this car DO YOUR RESEARCH! I have owned this car for almost 2 years and it has been nothing of a problem. I have had to replace the AC unit and on my last road-trip I had the wonderful experience of a blown head-gasket. After fixing that for about $2,000 it turns out the bearings in my engine have been warped or contaminated by the anti-freeze,likely a result of the blown head-gasket so now its going to die. The car's interior is nothing to brag about.This car had a lot of potential but due to poor reliability I will be looking for a new ride.

Excellent performance, a good trade-off for the sub-par MPGs.(18-26) The styling is also great!

Make a reliable car, people! I regret buying this vehicle. Probably going foreign next time around.

Grand Am GT V6 - Going Stron
By GMA

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Bought from a friend in 2005 who bought it new; it had ~50000 miles when i purchased it. Now has ~130000 on it. Replaced window motor, head gasket, alternator, brakes, rotors, rim leaking, shocks, etc... Typical for this car and similar to other posts. But, car drives great and if you keep RPMs under 2000, you can expect 'ok' gas mileage. Everything still works, so no valid reason to trade it in, although it isn't work too much now. Will keep driving until the wheels fall off. If you are considering buying, try to get it cheap and make sure you go through these reviews to determine if any of these typical problems have been fixed. Mine is red, so looks good still when it is buffed

Power, handling, looks,

Doesn't matter, Pontiac is no more and car is showing its age. Have put ~2000 in repair costs on top of the $5k purchase back in 2005, so $500 per year is a bit of money when you break it down, but mechanic time and parts aren't cheap these days.

I love my car!!!
By Connie

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I have always wanted a 2000 GT. Bought it used and now have 110,000 on it. It is wonderful and I get compliments on it all the time. I had the passlock problem that Tons of others have had but luckily my husband does alarms, remote starts and other electrical on cars for a living and he solved it no problem. I think a car depends on the person driving it and how they take care of it. I am super protective of my cars. Especially this one.

Body style, handling, comfort

They really needed to address the passlock problem. It also has poorly designed cup holders.

Problems from day one...literally!
By From Atlanta

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I loved the look of this car when I first bought it May 2004. Outside and inside had great looks, but found out how cheaply made it is over time. The dashboard is pealing up by the window, the bumpers are very flimsy...able to move when washing car! About a week after purchased i moved the seat higher and would not go back down. Car overheated 2 times within first 3 mths! Thank goodness for warranty! My blinker has been blinking for over 6 mths now non stop. The light isn't on, just the sound, the mileage display and clock/radio are messed up. The display shows distorted numbers. The gas mileage is horrible...about 220 miles per tank! My AC broke 3mths ago $1,000 to repair, not even worth it

Radio is slightly facing driver, comfy seats, big trunk and looks good.

This car is poorly made. I know a few other people with the car and similar problems. Now I understand why nobody wants American cars. My mom has a Camry, a year older, more miles...NO problems! Hopefully the G6 won't be so bad.

Problems All Over
By Really?

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan

Where do I start. I purchased this car in 2000 and was initially happy with it. Then after 8000 miles the front brake pads were worn and badly warped. With brand new ones installed, I lasted another 22000 miles,while the rear shoes and drums never wore. The dealers response was don't ride the brakes. I downshifted every opportunity and with 90% highway miles, that never really was a problem. So after about 6 adjustments and rotors I purchased slotted rotors. 48000 miles and no problem. Brake bias problem some engineer overlooked I assume. 2 water pumps, starter, intake manifold gasket,etc. With all the preventative maint. done one can wonder what would happen if you slipped on one service.

The gauges look nice.

Brakes need major improvement. Reliability with very important gaskets should be a priority on GM's list. I would wipe the slate clean and start with a whole new platform cause this just needs a major overhaul.