Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Owned long time
By TB

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I have owed this vehicle for a long time. It look goods nice interior design except for cup holder placement. The vehicle is reliable overall but requires intake manifold gasket replacement every 2-3 year. Back window motors stop working at 100k miles. Front brakes do all the work. Car has good ride a control on road. Major engine issue at 165K if you don't count gasket replacement mention above every 2-3 years.

Sporty look

Pontiac defunct.

Old, Mostly Reliable.
By GrandAmCaravan

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since it was nearly brand new and I have never had anything major go wrong with the engine. However, various stupid things go wrong with it, instead. Design flaws include: The back wheel wells were designed so rocks chip the corners of the back doors and it rusts like crazy, the security system will randomly cut off the fuel so it won't start, the exterior mirrors will break off if a light breeze blows past, there is something in the front doors that scratches the windows, and the brackets that hold up the power windows are flawed and break easily. Also, many parts are flimsy plastic that break. Other than that it's a solid vehicle that's a good size and drives well.

If you take good care of it this car runs very well. The turning radius is good for a car of its size. Great acceleration. Stops well if you keep the tires/brakes in good shape. It gets decent mpg if you don't drive it like a moron. The climate control is really good. Fairly roomy.

It would be a great car if they had just fixed the major flaws. My friend owns a 2000 and hasn't had nearly the number of problems that I have. The dealer was none too quick to do any work under warranty, so I think they knew it was a crap car from the start. Good performance, unreliable. Get a '00.

grandam it!
By sad owner

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

This car is the worst thing ever. Got the car w/105K mi on it back in June 2009. While it's got some giddy-up and handles well, it's kind of horrible not knowing if/when the brakes are going to fail. I've had to put a new ABS motor ($2K) in it, and now, less than 6 months later, the whole braking system is shot. And I'm not talking about shoes and rotors, which it eats like a kid eats candy. It also runs really hot, esp. in summer weather. The AC doesn't work, and the driver's window keeps falling. Also it's an automatic, but can't get it to downshift in to 1st with the shifter, something it should be able to do willingly.

it has a certain "ooo shiny" factor, visually it's nice, but its aesthetic appeal doesn't make it stop, so I can't say I count it for much.

How about Pontiac trying to design a braking system that works? Of all the things to crap out on a car, a brake system that fails can get MANY people killed. I'm not driving this thing AGAIN, fate willing, and I am not shy about driving. It almost went through my folk's house since it wouldn't stop.

99 Grand Am... love it, and hate it.
By maryjane0909

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

The car looks fantastic. Drives great, and it's fast...it's gotten me a ticket or two. i fell in love with it until about a month after i had it. it hit 100,000 miles about a month ago. it over heats, leaks coolant,and has a security light problem. Often, it only starts when it feels like it. I get stranded on a weekly basis. Also, when the car gets hot, it goes haywire; i lose power steering, i can't accelerate the car, and although the car is still on, it appears to shut down completley....while i'm still driving it!

looks great! drives smooth, and it's pretty fast.

the computer is a disaster, and so is the way it's put together. the car is cosmetically flawless but the rest needs major improvements.

Birthday Gift
By Clark

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

So I got this car for my 16 birthday and with 150,000 miles on it. It now has 185,000 miles on it. I love this car because its kinda fast and has great styling. However, it is not practical for me because I commute 40+ miles a day and there for it uses way to much gas I find this to be a very durable car due to the three wrecks in a month span and its still going strong however I cant wait to get a different car hopefully with better gas millage to bad Pontiac didn't work on that

Styiling...Inside & Out