Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Satisfied Buyer
By grandamboi

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I got my car in 2011 knowing it had a blown head with coolant leaking and rust in the water res. I got the car for $400 after talking the seller down 200. With income tax and a friend and myself doing the repairs to the car, we replaced intake manifold, shaved the heads, egr value, brake pads, water res, some tubes, and a few other things for well under 1k and now the car runs like new. I consider it a steal. Later the security bypass went haywire but the car is over 10 years old so I googled it. Was as simple as taking the radio out, cutting the car on, and cutting a wire...problem fixed. My next project is window regs and a/c compressor and mirror then the car will be fully restored.

I love the sporty look of the car and the alloy wheels. It has a great motor and the best part is GM lost their mind when they made this car and made it simple to work on. Just glancing under the hood, you can see it is simple to get to the tranny, head, water pump, a/c compressor, etc. On most new model cars, it's hard just to change the battery much less all of that.

I wish the side mirrors were not so cheap and that the dash did not fold under the sun heat so bad.

Never again!
By smithkjw

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

Everything about this car is more difficult than it has to be! This car was a gift from family when our previous car died, but we have spent three times it's value fixing it... And every repair leads to way more frustration because of its design. Replacing headlights is a quick and easy repair on every car I've driven until this one. On this car I had to have help to remove the entire headlight assembly which was no easy task. Replacing radiator hoses reqiures removal of several unrelated things. Fuel line tends to rust at the fuel filter, requiring replacement of the fuel line which is built into the fuel tank! AC vents spin and keep air from coming out.

Color. Green.

Scrap it and start over!

Love my Grand Am
By alie0313

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 5 years now, bought off my aunt. It has 150,000 miles on her and she still runs like new! Ive had to replave the power steering pump and chip that controls electricals on the dash at about 140,000 miles. Other than that, she runs great, mpg is good and plenty of room for a family!!

Great car!
By stefanie42

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I inherited my '99 Grand Am from my grandmother when I was 16 (in 2005). It had 117,000 miles on it and had no problems at all. Shortly after getting it, the window on the driver side refused to roll up. The volume control for the radio was faulty. Those were the only things that ever happened to it. I never got them fixed, and was fine. Went to college for a year without it. Sat for 2 years w/o driving. Replaced coolant system, fuel pump, and battery and it was back to running great! The side mirrors fell off (easy fix-it-yourself). Have to junk yard it because I got rear-ended. I'm sad to see it go. Considering getting another. Excellent car. I definitely recommend it!

It's fast, and looks great for that year! I'm trying to find another affordable car that looks that great around the same year and it's almost impossible. The interior is sleek and beautiful. Cloth and vinyl. Easy to clean. Very comfortable. The seat hugs your butt. Decent sound system without upgrades.

Needs stronger window motors, stronger side mirror mounts, and better volume control on dashboard. Wish it would get better gas mileage too. Otherwise, everything else is fine!

I love mine!
By turboerik

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

I inherited a 1999 Grand Am SE in 2004. I love mine! I have had only maintenance issues with mine. I love the weight of the wheel, the confident feeling of the suspension and the instrument layout. I've had it now for 6 years and I'm seriously considering getting another. The gas mileage is good, I get anywhere from 25 to 26 miles per gallon. I have always loved the Pontiac's red instrument cluster. I wish there was a larger engine option, but then the mileage would suffer. I have lowered the suspension and put Nitrous Oxide in it. I also put an after market hood on it. It looks aggressive without too personalized. Maybe mine was built on a Wednesday-because it's great!

W I D E stance, instrument layout, gas mileage.

Another engine option for power.