Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Pontiac Grand Am

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Loved it but ready for something new
By airiel13

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for nearly 4 years! And I've replaced just about every important part needed for the car to run!! I've spent over $1000 on my car, not the best but if your willing to have to fixer upper buy this car!! Plus the interior is poor quality, and why brown???

Horsepower

Change cup holder position Better interior design

The POS that refuses to die
By matthew32

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Have has my Grand AM since 2007. Was given to me by my parents who bought the car in 1999 with 12,000 mi. The car has always had regularly scheduled maintenance and now has almost 130k mi.
I overhauled the engine at around 120k due to a spun #2 rod bearing. The 2.4l has marginal oil supply and this is fairly common. As far as doing major repairs, the car is relatively easy to work on.
The interior in this car was the absolute worst of any I have ever owned - it started to fall apart when the car was only a few years old. Power windows all broke. Central locking and climate control switches broke. Vinyl peeling off the door panels. Dash warped. Seat padding breaking down.

I do like the exterior styling of the vehicle, otherwise it leaves a lot to be desired. As far as basic mechanical reliability, it is above average. Have replaced all the usual wear items, but have had little in the way of unexpected repairs. The spun rod bearing only occurred after I bottomed out and bent the oil pan, causing a leak and resultant drop in oil pressure. These cars do handle reasonably well and acceleration is not bad. The 2.4l engine is perhaps one of the worst GM ever made - Noise Vibration and Harshness is very high and at its age, everything in my car rattles when I am stopped at a light. Having said that, Power is decent, but acceleration is hampered by the balancer assy.

Could have used much better quality of interior parts. Avoid getting the 2.4l motor This is a fine, cheap car if you just want something that goes reliably and don't care if it looks like crap.

55 mph Headache!
By pugmamma

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I traded my amazing volkswagen that ended up needing a radiator for this pontiac or pile of junk. I have had so many problems with it sparkplugs, headlights, trunk latch, windows, and now I need a flex pipe and I cannot figure out which one it needs the car is so loud because the flex pipe fell off somehow!!!

The rear window defrost, fog lights, and trunk space...thats about it

My 8-Month Nightmare
By sinaskafitch

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

8 months ago, I bought a Grand Am off my friend at 140,000 miles. Turned out to be the worst decision I've made since. If I wasn't friends with a mechanic, this car would already be in the scrap pile. I've had to give it new wiring, a new starter, 2 new engine belts, a new mechanism that turns the engine belt, a new rear arm bar, and I had to remove the horn because it was faulty. The car also has a fuel pressure problem so now I pay out the nose for gas. I hate everything in this car down to the cup holders! It's cars like these that ruined Pontiac. This car is breaking my bank and my patience level. Hopefully getting a new car this week to get rid of this nightmare

It steers pretty comfortably, and I like that the back seats fold down for extra trunk space.

-To say the quality of the parts were disappointing would be the understatement of the year. -Worst cupholders in existence. -Awful on gas. -Not meant to last past 120,000 miles.

Wow!
By camaroj

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan

Amaing car i am the second owner and this is the best car i have ever owned very reliable and great on gas i do keep up on the oil changed ext the first owner owned this car from 1999 to 2011 this is my second year owning this car and i will say my only complaints are the front of the car is to low to the ground and allways scrapes and the paint near the wheel wells is rusting my car now has 380000 miles and still runs great. if they were still making this car i would recomend to use less plastic and parts chip and break easy but the car it self is very relaible!

the dash, spoiler outier design, mirrors

less plastic, better interior,low tire pressure gage, more headroom, legroom