Used 1996 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Pontiac Grand Am

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

It sure has been built for keeps!
By T Lo

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2.4L, 4 cyl Grand Am in 1997 used with 30,000 miles. Currently, it's a shade under 170,000 and she's still going strong. I get ragged by many friends who say I have an old ugly car, but I can't disagree more. A few mechanical problems have occurred (2 alternators, 2 water pumps, window motors that STINK, and a vacuum tube that baffled every mechanic except a Pontiac dealership) have occurred in 9 years. Currently, itching at getting a G6 Convertible. It's hard not to keep this car until the wheels fall off, nice not having a car note! I have no regrets owning this car during my entire 20's. Installed alarm and CD disk changer, so it's been functional and fun for me.

I've always liked the seats and headrests (they go straight up, unlike the G6 that juts forward). I'm sure those cloth seats molded to my body over the past 9 years! Good get up and go for a 4 cylinder.

An assorted group of squeaks and rattles, but sometimes they would just disappear! Had the instrument cluster replaced a few times back in 1997, the fuel gauge still is NOT accurate - keep up with your mileage (found out the hard way!). Rear ended in 1999, trunk still has leak problem, o well.

Good Bargain, Reliable. Style
By big-G

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought it with 94,000 and now have 115,000. The 2.4L DOHC 4 cylinder motor has great low end aceleration and great high end tourqe. No maintenance other than routine and an 0-2 sensor which was only 70 dollars and isnt an urgent problem. The car does have the tendency to overheat after longer rides with the A/C on, but what car wouldnt after so many miles. The exterior is very sporty looking and stylish for the price. The interior is comfortable but can feel a little cramped for the front passenger. Also, the car could have a little higher quality door panels etc. they tend to rattle and may feel a little "cheap". decent stock sound. great handling and cornering. Awesome speed for its class.

The car is an all around bargain. rides and runs very well at high mileage. looks great. Very fun to drive. Quick. Good corners. Low Maitence. A/c and Heat work well. comfortable bucket seats.

when compared to its foreign competitors, the interior looks great yet feels a little cheap and tends to rattle. gear changes are semi- jumpy, yet many automatics in these years were. besides, it adds to the sporty feel and jumps less then all my friends honda's, acura's from same year range.

great car
By mr_smith

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

My first car was this 1996 Grand Am. All I have to say is that this car took a beating and kept on going. I ran it hard and didn't take care of it the way I should've. My parents gave me the car with about 115,000 miles on it. The only repair they had done was giving it a new alternator. I drove the car for about 50,000 miles (hard and without proper maintenance) with no problems. I backed into a tree and a minivan (hit the van pretty hard) with no damage at all. I rear ended a blazer and the only damage from that was a hole in bumper from the trailor hitch. The only problem I had with the car is that the gas gauge was messed up but if you kept over a 1/4 tank then you'd be fine.

This car had plenty of room for friends. Very easy to get in and out quickly.

Gas gauge

Total road warrior
By Jordan

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I have had my car since august 2005 and it has been so much fun. it is so great for having fun in whether it be street dragging or what ever it still got the job done in the end it has great low end and high end torque and everything is original except the alternater t-stat battery and starter and of course maintanance stuff. but if i was given the opportunity to buy another one it would be sooo worth it and i was 18 when i bought it on my own and there is not a day where i would go without it. and it handles so quickly and well at 90 mph and when going that fast you look at the road and your doing 110 mph without even knowing it. IT HAS A GREAT SOUND SYSTEM.

Well handling at high speeds and quick acceleration and gets me about 250 miles per gas tank on 15 gallons of regular unleaded.

little more time spent on the back seat.

96 Grand Am disappointing
By Ken Stufflebeam

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my teenage sons to drive, 98k, SE model, 4-door, 4 cyl, auto. Thought it would be economical and practical transportation. Trans failed at 108k, no heater now - core failure, many repairs required, gas mileage not great for a 4 cyl, 21 city 26 hwy, squeeks, creaks, rattles. In all fairness it was worn out when I got it and you get what you pay for.

It has a nice stance, it's a good looking car and didn't cost much. It has a good engine 2.4 4cyl, does not leak oil and continues to run pretty good after 112000 miles.

Components aren't made to last.