Used 2002 Pontiac Aztek Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Pontiac Aztek

View reviews for a specific Aztek model:

fun and functional
By wayne stanton

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We have owned our Pontiac Aztek for a month now. After looking at several different models we chose this one due to price and initial impressions, with both room and comfort in mind. This car has proven to be a great choice, it is so quiet inside the cabin, and both very roomy and comfortable. I find its exterior looks to be very appealing, and the ride is both smooth and responsive. I think we have made an excellent choice. I am sorry they won't be making this car anymore after this year though, I do recommend it very strongly.

the quiet cabin, cd player, the very comfortable interier are all major pluses

The only problem is the spoiler in the back does block some of your view, thats the only problem with this car.

a few problems but I'd buy it again
By nah1978

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 AWD used with 25k and it is now up to almost 60k. Just a warning, be prepared to replace both the front wheel bearings at some point. I have done some research on the internet and this seems to be about the most common major problem with the vehicle. I was just out of warranty and it cost me about 400 bucks to do both. Even so I love this vehicle. You can get a good deal on them since some people don't like the looks. I just tinted all the windows and put a grill guard on and it looks awesome. It handles great, good MPG for an SUV (lower to mid 20's), plenty of room, good for hauling people or just flip the seats up and you can haul a ton of cargo.

Interior design, different from everything else, good sound system, decent power. I bought the tent package with air mattress and will never sleep in a real tent again!

Plan on having 2 people to open the hatch!

Aztek: The car people love to hate
By Aztek Happy

2002 Pontiac Aztek AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Aztek because of all of the great things it can do. It is the best car I have ever owned (I am 60 so I have owned a bunch). It does everything and is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. We went 14k miles last summer and never had any comfort problems. Get past the looks and buy one. You will really love it. You can get a good deal on one and shop around for the bells and whistles.

All of the great things it can do. It is sooo comfortable! It is a camper, a van, a truck by removing the seats. It has a great sound system, door packs and a cooler between the seats..

It could look a bit better. The back window has the bar across the middle.

Dependable Alternative
By tjhbama

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my Suburban for my Aztek.
Best economics trade ever... I have 52K
miles on my 2002, and have had no
mechanical problems, and get 20/25 city
and highway. Don't have the space of
the suburban (9 passengers), but have
room for 5 adults and luggage for
same. I tow a 8' utility trailer for
recreation, and love the flexibility of
flipping rear seats down, or up, or
taking them out easily. Cargo space is
nice in the rear, with 48" width for
hauling lumber for those home
improvement projects. Drivers seat
cover replaced under warranty last year.

Economics of flexible, versitile vehicle, that will still hold 5 adults. Great sound system, and drive great in town, or at 80 on the interstate. Truck like aspects, with car like handling.

Rear hatch lift mechanisms need to be stronger to open in winter, or open at all some times. Like spoiler for looks, but severaly impacts clear vision to the rear. Rear seat cup holders difficult for adults, since they are located in the lower door panel.

Quirky, but a great vehicle
By randtauwers

2002 Pontiac Aztek Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Some people don't like the styling, but
we love it even though it is a little
quirky. Styling aside, this is a great
vehicle. It is practical, comfortable,
lots of room to haul stuff around. The
mileage is better than most any other
SUV. We have the bright Aztek yellow
and it is great because you can easily
find it in the parking lot. It easily
tows our 19 foot I/O boat with no
trouble at all.

Very practical and useful vehicle that it is still fun to drive and unique.