Used 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette

View reviews for a specific Silhouette model:

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette
By vanowner

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Besdies the usual, I transport 6-7 adults with luggage 4-6 times a year so rear seat headroom is very important to me. The 24 mpg that I have been getting has been excellent for the size of the vehicle. My costs were only wear and tear and recommended maintenance, except for an intake gasket related to the cooling system that apparently is a weak feature in GM cars. Replacing that cost $1,000 when I was out of town on a trip. This has been a very comfortable, efficient, reliable road vehicle.

The 3rd row headroom, power sliding door, fog lights, roof rack, and heated leather seats for our winters.

Since this gasket leak is a weakness I think it should have been a recall repair.

Happy With This One
By mrkdrv

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Oldsmobile Silhouette new and five years later I am still happy with it. It has had no major problems to speak of. The only time I had it at the dealer was to fix the blower, it had lost low speed and the heater in the passenger seat died. Both were fixed without issue. I replaced the front brakes twice, tires twice, and rear brakes once. I am happy with the accelation also. It isn't a race car but I can merge onto a highway without feeling like I'm going to get creamed.

Its reliability and comfort.

None really. I just wished I had two power sliding doors instead of one but that is my fault.

Last GM I Will Own
By Sal

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Oldsmobile Silhouette new in '01. It needed a new transmission in '04 at 37,000 miles. GM covered all of the costs. Then my van began having electrical problems in '05 which still are not completely resolved. Also, it has at least one recall every 18-24 months. My other vehicle is an Acura bought new in '01. It has only been in the shop for oil changes, with twice as many miles. Detroit still can't get it right. I was considering Cadillac, I must be crazy.

Class with Reliability!
By Tom

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette is an excellent van for the money. It's loaded with features and very reliable. I purchased mine with 44,000 miles on it and now have 67,000 miles. I have owned it for 14 months with no problems. If snow is in your area I'd recommend the AWD version available in years 2002 - 2004. Our does not have AWD and that is the only option we wish we had. It gets respectable fuel mileage...23 miles per gallon overall with combined city/highway driving. We get 29 mpg if we burn a full tank on the Interstate averaging 70 mph. This van has respectable handling, power and reliability. I would recommend it over the Pontiac Montana.........the Silhoutte is a much classier vehicle on the inside and outside. Consider a Silhouette if you're looking for a good used family van.

The heated seats, memory seats, power slide side doors, built-in air compressor, audio controls on the steering wheel, traction control, the leather interior, and all the power options (which are numerous).

Well, doesn't much matter anymore as Oldsmobile is no longer manufactored :- ) but if they were I'd recommend adding dent resistant panels like Saturn has along with a power lift gate in the rear. Everything else we've been very pleased with.

A few problems, but overall good car
By Susan

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GL 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We had this car for nearly 4 years and just traded it in yesterday. Had a few problems along the way... A/C went out 20,00 miles after the expiration of the 60,000 mile warranty ($850 repair), intermittent problems with the power door not working, and for a while, the horn would sound when it was raining without being bumped or anything! They never figured out why but after some inkering with the electrical system by the deal service department, the problem seemed to have resolved. The front cupholder was rather flimsily designed and came out a few times (causing quite a mess!)

Automatic headlights, decent factory installed stereo, traction control on unless turned off, and roomy interior.

Better styling and warranty. The biggest concern seems to be that Honda and the like are considered so much more reliable. GM would do itself a great service to offer stronger warranties on its products to gain consumer confidence.