Used 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette

View reviews for a specific Silhouette model:

If you own it sell it
By nobehappy

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Good looking with lots of features. But way too many mechanical problems. Heated seats went right after the warranty. The gasket problems cost a fortune to fix and occur over and over. The transmission gave out at 110k miles. Towed to Olds dealer. They quoted $3,400 for them to fix and another $625 for other problems they found on the diagnostics tests. It is going to the junk yard as it is not worth fixing. I really regret buying this thing...just shows how far they are behind in matching the higher- quality build of Honda's and Toyota's. It is no wonder GM has problems getting people to want to buy their vehicles and trust them after experiences like this.

Six leather captain's chairs, good stereo controls, auto. sliding door, built-in air compressor, lots of room.

Terrible build quality. Horrible engine problems. Atrocious transmission that can barely hit 100k miles before going bust. Just awful.

131,000 miles and replacing shocks
By ED DINWIDDIE

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased it with 750 miles from dealers son. Have been very pleased. Lost one of driver side seat heaters and then two months later lost the other one. Very expensive. Hate the spare and where it is located, very hard to work with on a hot intrastate. Headlights are better than our 2000 but still need help.

Handling is excellent.

Need to get three on second seat. do not like dark windows, cannot see as well from rear seats.

Everybody has the same Problems...
By Jeff

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Get rid of your van prior to 65,000 miles. First the intake gasket broke, then the transmission, and then the head gasket. That's a big hit to take in one year.

I like how it has had no problems inside with the exception of the heated seat. It cost $180 for the part and another $100 to install. My wife said she would rough it.

GM stand behind your van. With all the engine and transmission problems they should have taken care of them. They have made changes to all of them so they knew something was wrong...

Excellent Value
By CCC Chicago

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This was our second Silhouette. Our first was a '94 and it served our family well. After seven years it began to have a some minor issues and we traded for the '01 GLS. It has served us without any major problems or issues for 5 1/2 years now. It only has 55,000 miles. I can't speak highly enough on the reliability of this vehicle. I tow jet skis with it. Pile kids into it. Haul cargo in it. Move easily through the snow in it. I'm one person who has loved my minivans over the past 13 years or so, but my next car will probably be some type of crossover. On the '01, I put on a new set of tires at about 45,000 miles and a new battery after 5 years. This has been an excellent family vehicle.

The comfortable ride, roomy, strong and confident engine. It gets good gas mileage (maybe 20/28) and has good cargo space. I like the roof rack, quiet ride, radio controls in the steering wheel, and leather seats.

Great Van
By Traveling Dad

2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere 4dr Ext Minivan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I do lots of driving to nearby states and lots of city driving. My Silhouette needed a minor transmission overhaul at 67,000 and an intake gasket at 74,000. I am on my third set of tires, but have needed no front suspension repairs. I will say that Michellin Hydra tires & now Goodyear Assurance, really make the ride comfortable and reassuring.

I love the video system with wireless headphones. This van has tight steering. The fold down rear bench seat is great, as are the heated seats and dual climate control.

Give it a stronger blower motor for the front area and an auto dim interior rear view mirror.