Used 1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette

View reviews for a specific Silhouette model:

Very Little Hassle
By robamra

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette GL 4dr Ext Minivan

I have had this vehicle now for seven years. I have had just regular wear problems with it. It has been to the shop only three times, and had no problems with motor or transmittion. A radio problem and and door problems, the were reasons. This is a great vehicle for the family.

The information display shows me more than I would have ever thought possible.

I thought the recalls on the rear sliding doors were too numerous. But they stopped 3 years ago.

Very Pleased
By Mike

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette GL 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought our totally loaded Oldsmobile Silhouette GL new. It has everything a GLS has except leather. We've put 80,000 plus miles on it and we can't complain. It's been extremely reliable and economical. We've had to replace tires and the coil packs failed at around 60,000 miles. The intake gasket was replaced under warranty as a recall. Everything else has worked just fine. I changed the front brake pads myself at around 40,000 miles. The rears were done just recently. She's due for shocks and another set of tires, both of which are reasonable in my opinion. She's never left us stranded or even made as much as a hiccup while on the road. I've just done oil changes and regular maintenance for 80,000 miles and almost 7 years.

The reliability, rear A/C, torquey engine, great passing power, handsome styling for a minivan, fun to drive (for a minivan), economical, and traction control.

Give it more horsepower and AWD.

Not My Favorite
By Tekascooter

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette GS 4dr Minivan

I bought my Oldsmobile Silhouette used with 81,000 miles on it. I did'nt like the fact that it didn't have rear air but I had a new baby on the way and needed a van. The low traction system went out and cost me $1,200 to fix and now the transmission is starting to fail. This is all at 94,000 miles. The seatbelts are not car seat friendly and there isn't enough leg room for adults in the back. I like the power door and the fact that the rear seats come out easily and they are light, but I am getting reaty to trade it in on an Expedition. I would not buy this van again.

The power door and the light seats.

Well a lot. The traction control system, the transmission, the leg room in the back, the a/c, the overall look of the van and a more useful roofrack.

Not Pleased
By kds

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette GS 4dr Minivan

This piece of junk is the last GM product that will ever darken my driveway. I have 39,000 miles on my Oldsmobile Silhouette and just outside of the 3-year waranty period it dropped the transmission. After doing some research I found that this was a fairly common problem caused by a known defect in one of the solenoids in the transmission. GM provided no assistance and it cost me $3,500 to get repaired. Run don't walk from this thing.

Brake Trouble-Dealer won't help
By Raymond Colley

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette GL 4dr Ext Minivan

I bought my Oldsmobile Silhouette in 2000 and had no problems until about 30,000 miles. The driver's side front rotor was scored because the brake pad was worn unevenly. Took it to my dealer and was told I was driving incorrectly. The right front was fine, only the left was worn. So I had the left rotor, pads, and caliper replaced. At about 55,000 miles it did it again. Took it to three dealers and they told me the same thing. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong! (LOL) After talking to several GM mechanics, I found this is not an unusual problem with this van. Everything else works fine-but every 25,000 miles I had to replace the brake pads-I can't afford a new rotor each time.

Handling MPG Good Horsepower