Used 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

Old Dependable
By Tropycsman

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used as a rental. I maintain it well. The mileage has been very punishing city driving 95% of the time. I average 16mpg city and 27mpg highway. Other than an issue with the brake proportioning valve, the car has been very dependable. It is my "beater" and keeps on ticking. The performance aspect has been very surprising. With the right tires the car handles well in the rain, snow, and, of course, dry conditions. Acceleration is good with lots of low end torque (3.8L V-6). Interior is comfortable and roomy but plain. This car is a keeper.

Engine, handling, dependability.

Better styling. More options. (It's too late though, GM has shut this division down a long time ago).

The Oldsmotrigue
By Mike

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Well, it's official now, my car is 10 years Olds!! It has 128000miles on the odometer and the way it feels, it could take another 100000. I have the 3.8 version. I had a buick T-Type before with the same motor and I sold it with 145000miles on it. Since I have it I've had the regular maintenance and parts replace from wear and tear, nothing more. Since i'm young (early 30's) my generation is too familiar with keeping a vehicule or buying American for that matter, I always under pressure to change it for an Europeen model! But since this one is paid for and is running in good order I will keep it and perhaps get a BRAND NEW SPORTS CAR!! (pronouce like Bob Barker would) THE 2010 CHEVY CAMARO!

Its sheet metalskin stretches tautly across the framework like a lean and muscular athlete. Nimble too! The sound at low torque from the 3800.

It's revival?

No regrets
By biglakemi68

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned three Cutlasses ('68, '71 and '80), an Alero, an Aurora and a LSS 88 and this has been my favorite Olds. Right now I have 175K on the original motor and tranny and can still pull 100+ mph speeds on closed track. Reliability has been excellent. Repairs have all been within reasonable parameters for a car of its age and mileage. She's starting to show her age cosmetically, but still rides like a dream and runs like a rocket. Love the control placement, cabin ergonomics and handling.

3.5L V6 - can't kill it. Great sound system. Love the moon roof. Seat design and foot well are wonderful - - at 6'3" and 275#, this is important. Still runs like champ with lots of low and high end power.

Bring back the GM designers that put this together. I still can't believe that a lemon line Buick survived and Olds was put to pasture.

This Car Has Given Me Lots Of Problems
By mikey

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since a year ago and when I bought it for $2,000. I thought I was getting a steal. Until I drove it al ot and gave it a good test run. Since I've had it I've had too fix the power steering, the timing belt, crankshaft, and the starter. Now I am currently taking it into the shop to get it looked at because yesterday it just died as I was going down the road and when it happened I lost all of my acceleration and it slowly died in the parking lot, now when I try to start it it sound like the starter is spinning but it's just not catching. This car is great! But it also comes with its grief and you'll spend a good amount of money on it.

E-brake on the floor board. Body style.

Better engine

Don't Be Fooled
By Fandor

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have owned my iIntrigue since 2001. In 2003 had to have the motor replaced due to some annomoly that was known by GM about the balancer rod in the block. 2008 had to replace the engine again. 2 months after replacing engine, had to replace the transmission. Have had to replace every power window unit in the car and getting ready to replace another one. In cold weather the power fluctuates up and down causing the lights to dim. Heater fan does not work correctly. Power steering has failed, and that is no fun to replace. Two oxygen sensors. This car is the reason that foreign cars are selling so well in America.

The leather seats (that broke in the first year).

Buy a Honda or Toyota. They will at least last.