Used 1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eighty-Eight model:

Classic American sedan experience
By Kyle Silvers

1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 50th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight 50th Anniversary Edition with 116,000 miles. This is a really a car that has grown on me throughout my ownership experience. The seemingly power everything Anniversary Edition has super comfortable leather-trimmed seating with multiple seat memory settings, power pneumatic lumbar adjustment, intuitive steering wheel controls for the HVAC and stereo. Interior fit and finish is very nice but things like panel fitment, fine details can leave a bit to be desired. Really spacious interior, so much headroom, side room, leg room tons of space. Unlike more taut and stiff sport sedans that can deceivingly seem smaller than they are this car feels every bit as big as it is which is very big. The car can feel cumbersome and boat-like at times in city traffic. The automatic/DRL headlights provide extra visibility in the day time and worry-free operation into the twilight hours. The engine is very smooth and surprisingly spirited on the open highway where this car really shines the most. Rearview mirror and driver-side mirror are auto-dimming with the latter also being heated. The rear auto-leveling air struts provide a wonderfully soft and contained ride style over the harshest of road surfaces and heaviest cargo loads.

Excelent College Car
By pizzaman09

1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4dr Sedan

My 1999 Oldsmobile 88 was my grandparents car and was given to my twin brother and I as our first car with only 42k miles on it!
We have been driving it for about 5 years now and it has 69k miles on it.
They 88 has been outstandingly reliable, we have under $1200 of maintenance into it in 5 years.
We had the common intake leak and the power antenna is stuck up but else it is perfect.

I use to hate how it looked but it has grown on me.
It is factory Crimson Red and I have white strip tires on it, it looks sharp and stands out among today's cars.

The ride and handling is like a marshmallow, but that is often a good thing.
It is plenty quick too!
I also enjoy the huge trunk!

Decent power, marshmallow soft ride, good radio, excellent visibility, looks out of the ordinary.

The interior panel fitment is horrendous, it has panel gaps every where. Uselessly low headrest. Back seat is cramped.

I love this car!
By susan

1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 50th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

I also hate that GM did not cover my expensive gasket problem when it happened in 2005 with just under 90,000 miles on it. Now have 141,000 miles and it has a few minor things wrong with it that I won't bother to fix - but I do love driving it. Also had problems with splitting leather problems the last 5 years. Somehow that hasn't held me back and I wish I could find another like it!

Compass, smoothness, gas mileage.

No use to say as they aren't making them! Put all the new gadgets in a great body like this one.

Most Reliable Vehicle I Have Ever Owned in 32 Years
By alienrealtor

1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 50th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

In my eyes it's good looking, my kids are not thrilled about it's appearance though. It has been a good and very reliable friend. It does not require much maintenance or repair. I have 112,000 miles on it and it's still very solid. Obviously it is not a good idea to sell it, you won't be paid much for it and the clear coat is still shiny, so why bother. It's paid for and the insurance is peanuts on it. This Anniversary Edition has every luxury option and they all work fine! If you find one, don't hesitate to buy it. It's a very nice vehicle. Oil changes every 3,000 miles are a must, Synthetic oil will give you about 30 MPG on the highway, every so often go for the high octane gas that has cleaners (BP Gold, Chevron 93 or Shell 93).

The leather, digital dash, and ice cold a/c.

I have no idea why they don't make it anymore. This one is fantastic. I've had many different cars in 30+ years, if you are not looking for a status symbol (Lexus, BMW, etc) this is a very nice transportation.

50th Anniversary Edition
By Susan

1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 50th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

I love this car. The only problem I've had - and it was big - was when a gasket leak took out the engine about a year ago. It appears to be a known problem - but they gave me little relief. One drawback is that the back seat does not have headrests. The driver's seat leather is splitting. But I love the look of this car and it's comfort. It's hard to find a vehicle as nice for its price. I'm at 108,000 miles now and hoping for many more.

The steering wheel controls and lumbar support.