Used 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

View reviews for a specific Cutlass Supreme model:

Good Car, but Expensive to Maintain
By jesse729

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in '97. It has 95,000 miles now. It is surprisingly reliable, it has never failed to start and never had a reason it couldn't be driven. I’ve only had one major problem which was only recommended that it be fixed and that was a coolant leak which is common among GM's. It could be caused by the use of dexcool. I had to get the upper intake gasket replaced ($600). Other then that it's been fine. Its build quality is low, I've had to glue many parts inside the car back together and standard maintenance cost can be high. It eats brakes and tires like no other and maintenance besides an oil change can be impossible, a tune up can be a multi day job.

Its performance is good considering the 160 hp. The transmission is very strong and responsive. Its handling is OK for the size of the car and the stereo is is good.

It needs better engineered brakes, the rotors and calipers are large enough but the pads aren’t thick enough to contact the entire rotor and it needs easier access to spark plugs.

My Second Supreme
By Daniel Anglada

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd Cutlass Supreme. The first was a 1992 sedan which was totaled 4 months after I bought it. Ironically I bought both of them after a previous car was totaled. I had a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, which I loved, it wasn't even a year old. Looking around for a replacement, I had my eye on another sedan, but I stopped to look at a used car dealership and this one caught my eye. I immediatley fell in love with it. Of course, being used, it has some miles on it, and a few dings and surface scratches, but it is still beautiful. I've always been a fan of Oldsmobile and the Cutlass, maybe my next one will be the convertible with the 3.4 litre 24 valve dual cam engine. Knowing me....

keyless entry, sound system, mini headlights, wheels, color, profile, leather wrapped steering wheel, ride, you name it!

I wish it had the 3.4 litre engine. Otherwise, no improvements needed.

Good car.
By Griffin

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I bought a fully-loaded 4-door, complete with leather, digital climate control, and CD player. The car has been a good performer, but is plagued by little issues that accompany the '88-'97 GM midsize cars. Build quality could be better. All the cars have the same problems: bad alternators, transmissions, and poorly- designed electrical systems. The only problem I've had is the alternator went out at 103k. The car is very comfortable on longer trips and drives nicely.

Excellent brakes, steering wheel controls, contoured leather seats, great sound system, attractive instrument cluster, good torque response

Better overall quality, more horsepower.

97 Cutlass Supreme - Great Car
By KR

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

Have owned this vehicle for 6 years and have experienced no major problems whatsoever, only routine maintenance and tire replacement. It is a lighter car with front wheel drive so it likes to slide on icy roads, but its fine as long as you forgo quick stops in the wintertime.

Front bucket seats are quite comfy.

Solid car
By Griffin

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 96,000 miles. I have had only one serious problem with it, and it was the head gaskets. It was mostly my fault, however. The car is plauged by little issues that face all 1st generation W-bodies. Nothing major. I have had no problems with any electronics, suspension, or brakes. I would definately buy another one! The 3100 is great off the line, but a little sluggish in the passing department. Mine has leather, CD, and all the options. Very comfortable and smooth.

Contoured leather seats, good handling, good brakes, simple, reliable engine, excellent stereo!

Tighter turning radius, better engine gaskets, more power, better designed electrical system.