Used 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora

View reviews for a specific Aurora model:

Best K/G body ever
By DBurden

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

This car is highly underated. The Aurora has great grip and handling for a 3800 lb auto. The auto leveling suspension in rear takes the roll out of corning. High speed cornering is no problem. The more you dial in the tighter the grip get. Steering is better than expect. I plan on taking this car to summit point raceway to further evaluate its ability.

Interior, handling, sound of engine with an intake.

GM should have gone with a 5 speed auto in all of its 2000+ K/G bodies. More power (at least 270HP) would have been nice. GM has truly made an error by closing Olds and trying to replace it with Saturn.

'01 Aurora
By Tom

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car used. Its resale is suffering so badly that I got a terrific deal. After getting this kind of deal, I could care less about resale as I plan to keep the car for a very long time. It is very comfortable, looks great, and handles fine. I have had no problems with it other than normal maintenance.

I love the styling - inside and out. The engine is smooth. It gets good gas mileage and has plenty of power. It is comfortable, especially on longer trips.

GM really screwed up by discontinuing Olds. They clearly listened to the bean counters who saw bigger margins on SUVs, at least when the decision was made. If Olds was still around, another Aurora would be first on my list when the time comes.

A Lot of Car for the Money
By Airfiddler

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I was looking around for an econobox when I saw this car. It was in beautiful condition, well looked after. One test drive and I was sold. Hey great gas mileage isn't everything. The engine and transmission are soooo smooth. It has lots of power, and it has a great snarl when you put your foot into it. The ride is a little firmer and noisier than my Buick Riviera's. It could be the low profile 17" wheels and tires. Its build quality is adequate. It's no Lexus, but for what you will pay it can't be beat. A few little things may bug you, like burnt out dash lights or the odd squeak now and then. That 4.0 litre Northstar DOHC engine is worth the price of entry alone. It's so quiet and vibration free compared to the Riviera's 3800 V6.

Did I mention the engine and transmission? The style is great. This is quite a rare car as far as cars go plus it's FUN to drive.

It should have fewer squeaks over harsh bumps and slightly more compliant tires. I may try the TOYO brand if the Michelins ever wear out!

Hate to Trade It, but...
By Frank

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car as an early lease return and paid half of what a new one cost. It has had the typical repairs (dimming headlight problem and ignition switch failure) but overall it has been reliable and a head turner whenever we take it out. It has never seen snow or winter roads (a garage queen) but the resale value is plummeting, parts seem to be in short supply, and my extended warranty is up, so it will be traded in shortly for a fraction of what should be worth. I, too, am sorry GM bailed out on this one. It was my third Olds and by far the best. I tried a Cadillac CTS but it just doesn't come close. Looks like an Acura may be the next step.

The style, interior room, fuel economy, and handling.

2001 Olds Aurora
By Glenn

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My car is fun to drive - it handles securely in traffic and on the road. After 70,000 miles it has been very reliable with only two trips to the dealer for repair service. It is a good sized car that is very comfortable and economic to drive. My car gets over 30 mpg on the road and usually 26 - 27 mpg overall. I have never been stuck in the snow here in Wisconsin. The V6 engine seems to have adaquate power in passing other cars on the open road. The trunk space could be a little larger, but that is a small matter overall. If GM were were still making this model it would be first on my list when looking for another sedan.

The comfortable seats, economy, reliability, good looks, and pleasant driving experience.

None that warrant comment at this time.