Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

This sad old Alero
By Brian

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst vehicle that I have ever owned. Thank God we bought a extended warranty. The starter went bad, fly wheel cracked, passenger electric widow stopped working, leaked gas from the engine, power steering started to leak, oil was getting into radiator, passenger door leaked when it rained, passlock theft security went bad. We traded car off before the extended warranty was up. Vehicles like this make you really think about ever buying a GM vehicle again. You pay good money for a vehicle and this is what you get.

None

everything

Beware-o Alero 2001 GLS Sedan
By Den1

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had numerous problems with this car, the most expensive of which is the coolant system leaks due to poor design at GM. There's a class action lawsuit on this because it is such a consistent problem on these engines (3.4 Liter). If you have this engine, it will develop leaks. It can't possibly do otherwise since the coolant actually erodes the gasket material. It's simply a matter of time. Now with the wheel and brake problems and the numerous small issues, I have to say this would be a terrible choice as a used vehicle. If you like your money, stay away from it.

Power and handling. No denying it can be fun to drive. Just has too many problems.

College Car
By Starrz

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero brand new (7 miles) and I've had a great experience with it. I haven't had any major mechanical problems with it and it's still running strong. It has adequate power along with good gas mileage. I'd recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable car.

The V6 engine.

None

Average
By Willie

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The Alero is fun to drive, but it gets horrible gas millage, it is horrible in the snow, and its speakers rattle with every hint of base in a song.

The radio, style, looks, power, and sunroof.

Give it better quality speakers, more power, and better gas millage

Lemon
By Lemon

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but problems with my Alero. In the last five years, I have had to replace my blinker, gas cap, entire clutch system, steering wheel pump, cruise control switch, and rear defroster. I also had a bolt break causing my front passenger wheel to fall of, luckily I was going slow enough that it didn't cause serious damage and I was not injured. And most recently I found out I have a leak in my cooling system.

It's a pretty car.

The entire vehicle needs to run well, not just look good.