Used 1999 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Good deal if you find one
By Dan

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car right after Olds stopped making them, so I actually bought the car for about 3K less than it would have been worth had Olds not tanked, which was fine in my eyes. With a huge available array of mechanicals left over from both the Alero and Grand Am (sister vehicle) theres no need to worry about service in the future.

Available low end torque. Clear case headlights and taillights look great at night.

GM's 3.4 had it's problems, there should have been more recalls across the motor line up. I've already been through most of the problems, and my mechanic has seen it all in other models across the lineup with the 3.4, so keep your fingers crossed!

Good for the money
By lalalolo

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Well, you could buy an ugly early 90's import, or an Alero for about the same price. For me, there's no contest. I'd take my Alero. Unless you plan on driving it for the next 15 years, it is an excellent car for the money.

Exterior styling, stereo, quick acceleration.

Bad on gas, no power windows.

Good car
By feet2004

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

I really like the Alero - I have had some problems with the interior lining on the doors, radiator/coolant system, and the power windows falling into the doors (3 of the 4) - but otherwise, the car has been great. I just took a job which I will be commuting over 80 mi per day, so I will be needing to trade in the alero for a car with a little better gas mileage. If my commute were shorter, I would probably drive this car for a few more years at least.

Roomy interior (I am tall). Nice drive

Interior lining - better craftsmanship needed - I had to take it in for repair in the 1st year I had it; Better quality power window motors (3 of the 4 windows have broken)

Pre-Owned Alero review
By whs03

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Since the day I bought this car it has been nothing but wonderful, of course you get the pre-owned quirks but all that aside, I love the accessory of being told when one of my tires are low, and being able to choose between playing a cd or a cassette tape in my car. I believe I made a great decision on my first purchase of a pre-owned but still feels new Alero.

Lw tire notification, CD and tape player, moonroof, majority of the features in my car I love

Cp holders could have been a bit bigger to fit today's big gulp cups and thermos's.

Love my Alero GLS
By Josh

1999 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan

Other than oil changes, brake pads and one warranty head gasket this car has run like a champ. It has been dependable with no problems. I will probably put another 85,000 miles on it before I replace it.

This car is fun to drive, very reliable, and gets great gas mileage.

Get rid of the Goodyear Eagles tires. They get noisy. I prefer the Turanza by Brigestone.