Used 2009 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Mixed Review
By TruckLuver

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new 2009. Rockford Fosgate sound system above average, nice technology package. Combined gas mileage (20% city, 80% hwy) is 21-22 mpg. Looks nice, rides comfortably, but I'm having hard time adjusting from previous full-size pickup truck. I am 6' tall, and I feel a little closed-in. Short arm rest is more like an elbow rest... it sucks. Test drive was good, but after a month I'm not so happy. 6 cylinder engine seems to have sufficient if not awesome power. Back seats are nice to have, but not much room for rear passengers unless you scoot front seats up. Plastic console dents easily (don't drop anything on it). Vehicle is shorter than some cars. Mixed feelings, but quality vehicle

Quality, gas mileage, appearance, premium sound system.

Real armrest, longer vehicle, more legroom, tougher plastic inside. Locking console. Perhaps more ground clearance/higher ride. Better brake pads (rims get dirty quickly with break dust, much more so than in any of 6 previous vehicles I've owned). Improve safety (only 3-4 star ratings).

Glad I bought it
By Andy Kuchta

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been a Nissan Frontier owner since 1995 and have been very satisfied with the quality and engineering of Nissan vehicles. Recently I began looking at the X- Terra. I was happy to see that Nissan has continued with their quality in workmanship and "thinking of the little things" like the door in the skid plate that allows you access to the oil filter when changing your oil. The interior is well designed and the ride is comfortable. For anyone looking at a mid sized SUV I'd give the X Terra more than just a passing look.

Oil filter access and ride.

None

Awesome All Around 4x4 SUV
By DesertRatSoCal

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great news for the SUV enthusiast. Nissan has really done the trick with the Xterra. Nimble on road, capable off road, easy on the wallet, outstanding performance. I'd throw stones at similar sized SUV's by the other manufacturers. This vehicle has long been a hit for the market niche and I would recommend the average individual who needs a slightly larger vehicle to take a test drive. The fuel economy is exceptional for the type of vehicle and its capabilities.

4x4 system, technology system.

Add tow package to all of them from the factory.

Love My New Xterra
By roymac

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This my first Xterra but seventh Nissan. It's hard to beat a Nissan vehicle. The Xterra is a great SUV to drive. My wife calls it my "sport truck". Besides a great price my Xterra also came with $1300 of free electronics upgrades. The Rockford Fosgate sound system is great, much better than the Bose I had in my Pathfinder. The Blue Tooth hands free phone is also great as is the XM satellite radio. The Xterra handles extremely well and is a solidly built vehicle. The 261 h.p. engine is typical Nissan quality - great quality and performance. I've never had a single engine problem with all my previous Nissans. In summary, I am totally satisfied with my new Xterra.

Value, quality,solidly built vehicle. especially like the R/F sound system and the Blue Tooth phone. Engine is powerful and reliable.

Better gas mileage with city driving.

no brainer
By L.A.

2009 Nissan Xterra SUV Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second xterra, my first was a 2000 SE purchased in 99'. There is no other suv out at the moment that I would rather have (excluding the larger BMW X's and infinity QX56). My 2000 only gave me a fuel pump problem (replaced by dealer on a recall) in 100,000 of driving, with very bad maintenance record after the 2nd year, changed oil every other year. So I figured I pushed it to the max (last day came back from the jersey shore at avg.80MPH and it was time to get a new one. I love my 2009 off road - the sound system is awsome. The truck, well I'll just let it speak for itself. now if I can just pay this sucker off I would be the happiest man on the planet.

Looks, ready to rock and roll like a Transformer. The engine sound when you turn the transformer on. The sound system. The am here to kick butt not to just look good attitude. The fact that everyone knows that there is more that meets the eye. The utility of the beast. It Rocks like no other.

None, please don't make any improvements - if you place a sunroof on a new model I will make my 09 off road a convertible. Please tell me you won't do this to me. even the "skyroof" was a great item to have.