Used 2007 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Love it BUT Possible transmission problems
By Annette Huss

2007 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my Xterra. It has great cargo room. I've moved 2 kids back and forth from college and am able to get everything in. The weight and 4WD makes me feel confident and safe in snow and ice. It drives like drives like a truck but has the convenience of an SUV. BUT DO YOUR HOMEWORK there is a flaw in the transmission/radiator. Between 80,000 and 100,000 miles the radiator can leak water and will contaminate the transmission. A class action lawsuit was filed and Nissan will pay anything over $3,000 if the Xterra is under 100,000 miles. You are responsible for the first $3,000. This being said, I love my Xterra so much that I chose to pay to fix it. Nissan was great to work with and I'm glad I made the decision.

Toyota Guy loves this truck!
By kycarguy

2007 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm Toyota. I think the Tacoma is the best gasoline truck ever built. With that being said, the 05-10 Tacoma and 4-runners are too darn expensive. The 07' Nissan Xterra SE was a great compromise. I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room in the front. The transmission could use the extra gear though. It likes fuel but I'm pedal to the metal man. My VDC light comes on and stays on from time to time but when I test it, it seems to work properly. I'm at 104k. No other issues. Rides smooth. Fairly quiet. Tons of cargo space/hidden compartments. Love how it looks. And it was half the price of a Toyota truck with similar age and miles. I wish it was the off road package but the SE is not a bad trim level.

Ride height. Simplistic interior. 4.0 has plenty of hp. Rugged looks that work. Very capable off road. The step on the bumper. Rockford Stereo is perfect for me. AUX input. Hidden storage all over inside and out. Beefy roof rack. With these big ol' rugged terrain tires it looks like a super toy man! Made in Tennessee! The only good thing to come out of that state. Go cats!

Suspension is weak. Had to work out several rattles inside the cabin.. The plastic on the exterior fades and looks crappy if you don't condition it. Auto LSD would be great on this ride.

Xterra 4x4
By rthinchey

2007 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great truck to drive on and off road. Very easy to maintain. Works very well off road, I've never been stuck or left stranded. Great vehicle in the snow,
mud, rain, sand, and anything else you can throw at it

4x4, roof rack, back step on the sides, lots of hidden storage

2007 Xterra issues
By schott5504

2007 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my 2007 xterra for 15 months now, and it's a love/hate relationship. I purchased mine used, with 58k and purchased the (unusually expensive) extended warranty with it. Shortly after purchasing the car, the radiator began leaking and was replaced. Then the rear differential seal began leaking and was replaced. Soon after that the entire rear end basically gave out, and the transfer case, rear differential, and rear axel were all replaced. Now the rear hatch quit locking, and the water outlet on the engine block is leaking coolant.. I love this car but with 74k and already $5400 of maintenance (luckily mostly covered) in 15 months it may not be in my garage much longer.

Powerful engine, and great off road capability. It's a blast to drive in snow or through the woods, and has a good highway feel to it. Easy to clean rear compartment, and looks great from the outside.

The reliability of this vehicle is really in question. I admit, I baby it for the most part... But use it as intended on weekend outings as well. Unfortunately it sits in the shop as much as it sits in the garage for a constant barrage of maintenance on the coolant system and rear differential.

Update Report From October, 2010
By hikercamper

2007 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

42,500 Miles.
Still under factory warranty - timing chain is being replaced.
Gas mileage started dropping, so am having fuel service, including cleaning of fuel injectors and de-carbon valves.
Rear shocks will be replaced with Bilstein shocks.
Have received two notices from Nissan extending warranties on fuel sensor assembly to 60,000 miles and the radiator assembly to 72,000.
Feeling concerned about the mechanical reliability of this vehicle.
Thought the Xterra would have held up better than this.
Bought new and have owned the Xterra for three and a half years.

Appears to be a "solid" vehicle, fun to drive, handles dirt roads well. Has been enjoyable to own. Inspires a sense of safety.

Mechanical aspects of this vehicle may be questionable. Bought it hoping it would hold up, things would not wear out prematurely, but would hold up for the long term. Wondering what else will happen. My confidence is somewhat shaken.