Used 2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

33000 miles and still going
By van

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Knew I would have to drive this vehicle for a while in order to give an honest assessment. It has been a great vehicle. Super engine, torque at any speed, and this is not a small vehicle. I have taken it light off-roading without issues, could definitely take much more abuse than I've put it through. Have driven it from Washington to Arizona and Arizona to Texas and back without problems. Cavernous cargo bay when the seats are folded down. Doors and windows close with a solid "thunk". Xterra is the rugged man's SUV, super utilitarian. It's a vehicle that can go from dirt to pavement with unanimity, and haul all your stuff. Oh, and at this price point how can you beat it??

Powerful engine, solid build, utilitarian capability

Frictionless cargo bay, crappy stock stereo, overly sensitive tire pressure monitor, some mild ergonomic issues

My second Xterra (after the original)
By Jay

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Having previously owned the original model, I was not looking to buy another one until I test drove this beast. I was so impressed by the power and torque and the fact that the salesman let me drive it home for a whole day! That night I took it close by to a favorite hiking trail and was impressed by the off-road capability and just the overall comfort and convenience. I've now had it for 2 years and still loving it. I've taken it to numerous camping/backpacking trip, off-roading, hauling furniture and it has passed with flying colors. This is one vehicle that lives up to its ads and commercials-great job Nissan!!

Sweet engine, great visibility, very capable off-road prowess, good torque, excellent ergonomics, plenty of storage and tie downs, efficient roof rack and storage, nice overall appearance.

More comfortable seats (too firm and stiff), throw in a free sunglass holder already(!) and sunroof.

Good Xterra
By jmwsandan

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall we are very happy with our 2006 Xterra. Our only complaints are minor. Fuel economy isn't great, but we knew it wouldn't be good going in. We are also less then thrilled with the back seat. Once you're in, it's comfortable, but getting in and out is a hassle with the rear wheelhouse in the way.

Power and acceleration are good, although they do contribute to poor fuel economy. We also like the overall appearance of the Xterra.

Rear seat access.

Great Buy
By Matt

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV is a great purchase. It's functional and looks great. It handles perfectly off road. Even in a 2 ft. snowstorm it had no problems while other suv's were in the ditch. I wish the gearing in the transmission was set up a little different, but otherwise I love this car and will keep it until it dies.

Roof racks, cargo compartment, CD player, comfort and ride.

Gearing on the transmission, option for an external temperature guage and compass.

Love it!
By pinkyjones

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Xterra last November and love it! I never had an SUV before and was afraid I wouldn't be able to handle it. It handles great and is easy to drive. The gas mileage is not the greatest but is better than I expected. Tons of cargo room and lots of extras like extra outlets to charge stuff, cargo tie downs and netting to hold groceries. My only complaint is the stock tires. They do not grip well when it is wet. I also replaced the radio since the stock radio was lame.

Handling, power, tinted windows, ground clearance, back cargo door is easy to close.

Tires, stock radio.