Used 2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

So Far So Good
By PHISH

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We came within days of buying a Jeep Commander before I just happened to notice this Xterra on a dealer's website. We Test drove it and bought it. The first block of the test drive I forgot about the Jeep and never looked back.My wife loves it because she feels safe and likes the look of the truck. I like the fact that it has an endless amount of speed when you need it and handles amazingly well on turns.We're really happy with it. Paid $12,500 for a 2006 with 25,000 miles miles on it. How could we pass that up? We traded in our Montero with all the bells and whistles for the plain jane Xterra. We couldn't be happier!!!!

Horse Power,running boards, roof rack. Its just a cool looking truck. I love the way it rides on any surface.

The interior could be rubberized in the high traffic areas. Stock radio is terrible. I replaced it with a 7" touchscreen and it was a perfect fit.The back window should be able to be opened without having to open the entire back. Pop open quarter panel windows would be sweet too.

Huge disappointment
By Disapointed

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I’d like to say that I love this vehicle; unfortunately, it’s turning into a lemon. Multiple problems have arisen. Two clutches in 52k, fuel pump and sensor bad, chipping paint. I've taken good care of her too! Mileage is pretty good, 18 city, up to 24 hwy, 19-20 avg. Accelerates well, fun to drive, good visibility. Like the plastic cargo area, easy to clean. Upgrades necessary for serious 4x4. After market parts lacking. I’m told by Nissan service guys that they kept the truck less expensive by using lower quality parts. It shows. I’ve taken good care of this truck, but it’s time to move on. Back to Toyota.

The interior is, nothing fancy, but I didn’t want fancy. I got functional and simple. The cargo room and rear seat room is very good. Very roomy with seats down. Fun to drive, decent mileage, 19-20avg. Rear locker, stiff frame. Fairly quiet inside.

Gear ratio for 4x4. Rear suspension bottoms out easily. Chipping paint. Two clutches in 52k (not uncommon with these), fuel pump and sensor bad (not uncommon), idle problems (not uncommon).

Very Mediocre
By FA91

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just traded our 2006 Nissan Xterra S. We did not entertain buying another Nissan based on our experience with this Nissan. It was not a bad vehicle, decent power - horrible mileage. We previously had a Ford Explorer that consistently got 18 MPG. Once in a while we would hit 17 with the X, but usually it was 14-16. My wife commuted in the car and it was not used off road. We had no major problems with the Xterra, but did have to take it back to the dealer for a loose exhaust shield - which is now loose again (or was when we traded it). Rust was starting on the rear passenger door. Brakes made a horrible sound when TC kicked in and brakes were applied. Paint scratched easily.

The vehicle sat really high. Like driving a Semi Truck. Anti slip (Traction Control) was very good. Handling was tight. Room in the back was much bigger than RAV4, etc. REALLY liked the size of the vehicle. Priced well for what you get.

Rust with less than 3 years is not a good sign. BFG tires needed replacement at 32K. ATF Fluid was a "Nissan" Type J, and recommended Dealer Service was unbelievably expensive. Oil change is required every 3750 miles, vs. 7500 for most new car warranties.

The best SUV
By RCKEV

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I picked up my Xterra after driving Explorers for 12 years. This is the best truck I have ever owned. It performs flawlessly whether going in town shopping or to my favorite mtn bike trail in the mtns, it has been perfect. I avg 18-19 in mixed driving. I have never been so happy with an suv. This thing is twice the suv my Explorer was. Better engine better ride all around sound. I'll be driving this one till it falls apart

Styling, engine features. The compliments. It's offroad ability. This thing is a mtn goat. On pavement ride. My explorer always seemed to have some vibe or shake. Like I could never get the tires balanced

Rubberize the interior like the dash and doors. The plastic scrapes too easy. Bring us the diesel motor from EU. Offer a painted bumper pkg. I hate to use armorall type products. A rear glass panel that opens so you don't have to open the whole hatch. Longer front arm rest.

After Extensive Testing....
By X-Country Roam

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my X in June of 07 with 18,000 miles on it. Since then, I have driven this thing almost 30,000 miles, from Chicago, to northern Michigan, to Myrtle Beach, to northern Ohio, in light floods, blizzards, and sand. No trouble digging itself out of 3 foot snow drifts, even a 4 foot ditch (when I was stupid, and turned the traction control off). Wonderful comfort and easy to pack for long trips. I tested the "top impact" rating with a telephone pole last winter. (Black ice, my fault, not the X's.) Kept me and my passengers safe, roof held up no problem. Holds up very well in heavy summer traffic, 30 below temps, blizzards, floods, and anything else you can think of to throw at it.

Built like a tank, locking rear end and 2 speed xfer case, traction control, totally reliable, great power, good handling for such a tall truck, solid REAL frame, full-sized spare, can pull itself out of ditches, through snow, can handle ANY weather conditions. Can pack a LOT in it, lots of tiedowns.

Tougher plastic interior (scratches easily, especially where seat belt latch rides on side pillar). Fix the traction control issue from factory (wiring harness issue, ONLY problem I have had).