Used 2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

A Rolling Money Pit
By jskirwin

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

There's a very good reason why this truck has been rated as one of the worst used cars to buy. We bought our 2006 new. Mechanically things were fine for about 40k miles, and after that the truck simply fell apart even with constant maintenance.

After warranty expired I replaced: Windshield. Both window lift assemblies and controls. The bearings and control arms on all 4 wheels. The rear differential. Rear lift arms. Alternator. Spark plugs and wires. Catalytic converters. But worst of all was the radiator/transmission cooler failure. That allowed the coolant to mix with the tranny fluid killing the transmission. It is a known problem - so avoid this truck and the heartache it brings.

Because of the ruined transmission I ended up selling this vehicle to a dealer for $900 with 170,000 miles on it, which is less than I paid for many of the repairs. Worse vehicle I've owned since the 1980s, and because of Nissan's refusal to help, I'll never buy a car from them again.

2017 update: Avoiding Nissan is easy. There are plenty of better SUVs out there. Don't know whether the later gens fixed this problem but I would still make sure this problem has been fixed before buying a new/used one.

Couldn't be more pleased
By xterrajess

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best vehicle. So incredibly reliable. Some fun facts:

- In 7 years of ownership, I've never taken it to the shop for anything other than the regular oil change and tire rotation.

- Front 2 seats are very comfortable. I get many comments on this.

- Steering wheel offers some resistance when turning but is OK.

- Stylish

- Decent gas mileage for the year and type of vehicle

- Lots of trunk space, tons when the back seats are down. I can fit a corner piece of furniture in the back standing upright in this thing.

- Don't have to slam the doors for them to close

- Nice blinker sound

- Replacements parts (from minor fender benders & whatnot) are pretty cheap

I absolutely love this vehicle, but if I'm going to be super picky I could name a couple of things to improve. A/C and heat: Even when turned to off, I can feel a breeze from the vents regardless of the settings. Also, there really is no comfortable set of settings for a long trip. I constantly move change the temp settings to remain comfortable. The forward/back adjustment lever works fine but the way it's designed causes everything to get stuck on it. Add an inside handle on the back door. Standard music system is pretty average...or less than average. I replaced it. Like I said, super picky. This is an awesome vehicle.

Great vehicle if you need it
By sky_captain

2006 Nissan Xterra X 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Xterra with 4wd used in 2010, and have since had it for 2 and a half years. It has been a fantastic vehicle in terms of reliability and performance. The problem is the gas mileage. If you do not need to haul heavy things, pull large objects, or you do not frequently encounter bad weather, then I do not suggest this SUV. The back seat is cramped for adults, and the interior lacks a lot to be desired in terms of comfort. Combine those aspects with the very poor mpg, and it makes this SUV difficult to validate. HOWEVER... if you do need such a vehicle, I could not suggest a better one. The reliability is up there with Honda, and off road/ working performance is great.

The traction control system is great, it can handle most basic bad weather without you needing to turn on the 4 wheel drive system. If you do need the 4wd system, then you still don't need to worry because the system is straight forward to activate, and works great. The interior is very lackluster, but very durable. It holds up well to wear, and is easy to clean. The cargo space is deceptively spacious, especially if you are a Tetris wiz. The roof racks are solid, and can hold a stand up piano (speaking from experience). The exterior looks are masculine, but not ugly. The seats are supportive enough, and visibility is quite good. Turning radius is good for a car of this size.

Again, the gas mileage is poor if you are looking for a daily driver or family vehicle. The interior has virtually no 'toys' in a base model. The back seat is quite small. The V6 engine is powerful enough but whiney when pushed. There is plenty of power off the line, but it has trouble finding any extra at highway speeds (which just means it is not super fun to drive). The body rolls a bit when turning. Did I mention the gas mileage? But honestly, it is a great vehicle for the right people.

Disappointments
By chuck181

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've read a lot of reviews from other people.
The repairs on my XTerra are mounting up.
Should I bight the bullet and dow out the money.
They say I have a cracked radiator which seems common with this model.
Power steering fluid leak will cost $1200 to replace unit.
Dealership says it can leak into other areas of car.
Brake rotare should never wear out in my mind.
And now wheel bearing problems.
Several years ago, I paid to have the timing chain corrected.
Why are all these things happening.

Handles great in Minnesota snow

The worst return on a car ever!
By jnsg

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

5 years! That's it. And now it's worthless.

Like everyone else I have fallen victim to radiator/ transmission problems on my 2006 Nissan Xterra.

I went to my dealer to get an oil change. While I was there I described a symptom of at certain speeds my 2006 Xterra felt like it was driving over a rumble strip and at other times there was a loss of acceleration. They informed me this is a known issue that Nissan has extended the warranty BUT my Xterra was right outside of the warranty period at 112K miles. They then proceeded to quote me around $6000 for the repair. When I informed them that the truck was practically brand new, they shrugged and said sorry

Any favorite features I have are shot down by the reliability of the vehicle. As of now it is impossible to say anything good. What would be the point?

Nissan needs to step up and fix this issue. They are losing way more money by not fixing than if they did. I can promise you right now that Nissan will not get the next $30K I spend on a vehicle.