Used 2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

2006 Nissan Xterra
By Joe Avila

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Short wheel base. Great towing pkg. It's the basic model, so no frills, less things that may go bad. Primarily hilly countryside, (northwest Arkansas), towing a 3,000 lb. Boat/trailer not a problem. 134,500 miles and purrs like a kitten.

Second xterra, best vehicles I ever owned!
By Ernie

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I owned a gen 1 before I bought my gen 2. Bought my gen 1 with 167k on a failed odometer, not sure how many miles were on it. Owner never changed the oil and it ran fine (I did). Drove it two years and sold it. My 06 second gen has been amazing. Only issue I have had is with the universal joint in the back, it likes to chew them up. This is probably due to the fact mine is an off road addition and has a higher lift causing the transmission input angle to be higher causing premature failure of those bearings. It is what it is. I have driven this thing through everything including snow, ice, mud, you name it. Pulled people out of snow banks on the side of the highway, drove through 6 inch plus of snow and my X didn't even flinch. Comfortable, fun to drive, and reasonable gas mileage for what it offers. I have 200k on the odometer and it's still running strong. I will keep it until it dies (probably never will).

I have had mine for 1 year
By Hooter Johnson

2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have already had to rebuild the transmission 2 times with then a year. Nissan needs to recall the transmission & fix there mistake. I have spent $6,000 on two repair kits for my transmission and the Xterra is only worth $7,000. I really loved Nissan's & Toyota's but at least Toyota will fix there mistakes.

Great suv.
By Bill Fountain

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Some states refer to it as a truck and you will pay such fees. Other states refer to it as a suv. The milage you get is great

Bad Tranny makes it terrible
By Ed

2006 Nissan Xterra S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle brand new in 06. I fell in love with the exterior styling. Did all the required scheduled maintenance. At 59, 980 miles the transmission failed(coolant mixed with engine oil-a common problem with this model and year). However the warranty was up to 60,000 miles so it was covered. At 100,000 miles the same thing happened. The dealer quoted me $9,500 to repair! I was ready to junk it at that point since the repairs would be more than the value of the car. But decided to contact Nissan Corporate and going back and forth Nissan actually covered the repairs because it was the second incident! I have to give Nissan credit for doing this. However, the aggravation of the whole event was not fun. At 135,000 miles a guy I know who owns a local transmission shop changed around some of the hoses so the problem will not occur again, for $100. I do not understand how or why the Nissan dealership did not do this after the first failure, or esp. after the second failure? I now have 235,000 miles and the vehicle needs more repairs (2 catalytic converters and ball joints) to pass inspectionso I am going to sell it for cheap. If it wasn't for the transmission/radiator problem this vehicle is good. But that is a Major problem for anyone who doesnt have the hoses changed around.