Used 2005 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 157 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

2005 Xterra - Still runs great!
By WylyGT

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 2005 "S" Xterra 4WD with all the options of the "SE" still runs great and is fun to drive! I don't have fog lights and never found a pre-fab kit to install or I would have installed them. The only failures was the original battery - as usual on all new cars and the rear shocks had to be replaced at about 55,000 miles. The Xterra tows my 19' Bayliner just fine. Plenty of power every where I go. Off road is a blast! Now I have over 80,000 miles on the SUV and haven't had a brake job! (Had to have one every 25,000 miles on my GM cars.) I hope to buy a new Xterra in a couple of years. Nissan makes a great car/SUV. NOTE: THIS IS AN AUTOMATIC!

4WD, 265HP, easy to clean - inside & out, tows great.

More room for CDs in console. A little more room in the back seat (hard to get in/out over wheel well). Fog lights standard. Millage isn't great but the power is there. Secure rear hatch panel better as it will get loose and squeak after a couple of years.

dependable workhorse
By msferd

2005 Nissan Xterra S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

nice. nice. nice. bought this vehicle to help me rebuild after Hurricane Katrina. The shock came when I was able to haul a 5ft patio door with ease.

cargo space

better sound system

great rugged truck
By armydad

2005 Nissan Xterra SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Nissan xterra has been a great truck, 70,000 miles and no problems, still have the factory breaks, just now had to replace the tires. Truck does great in all weather, im in the army and currently living in Kansas, lots of snow and ice in the winter, truck does better than a lot of 4x4 trucks, I pass them all the time on the roads stuck in the snow, mpg not as good as I would like but is not bad considering the engine size and h. P. All and all great truck!

lots of power for towing my 4wheeler, and pure outdoor ruggedness.

fuel economy, independent rear suspension, SE with manual tranny

Quality Of Parts Questionable.
By bingee

2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The rear bumper started rusting after just 3 years. This is a car that is garage kept. Now the fuel gauge doesn't work because the fuel level sensor is defective. It's a $600 fix that has been a problem with Nissans since 2000. So why do they continue to install defective parts year after year? And there are lots of rattles. No more Nissans for me.

Does well in pulling a trailer. Fits well into the garage.

Make the rear bumper rust proof. And start installing a fuel level sensor that is not defective.

Just purchased - initial reactions
By Ryan

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I'd been casually shopping for a 2003-2005 Xterra for a few months. I really prefer the body style of the 2005-2009s so I've been looking for one within my budget. Now that I have it, I couldn't be happier. I read a lot of reviews on the model so had a good idea of what to expect. The "get up and go" is fantastic. I'm coming from driving a VW GTI, so I needed something with a little "oomph" that I was used to. I really like all of the clever compartments throughout the car (2 glove boxes, roof rack storage box, floor storage compartment under hatch bed, etc.). If you have a lot in your car, It helps to stay clean and organized.

Exterior look, storage and compartments, power and speed, simple mechanical knobs for heater and AC, lumbar support in driver seat, driver seat roominess/comfort(other reviews had mentioned it being cramped, but I'm 6'2 and I've got plenty of room), fold flat rear seats.

Make running boards standard with all models. MPG. Vanity mirrors on visors (my wife's only disappointment thus far). I'm reaching here, I love this car.