Used 2005 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Xterra - best of both worlds
By Natedawgg

2005 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 4x4 Xterra because I wanted something that was fun to go off roading and camping in and was also good around town. I have only one complaint and that's the gas mileage. But what can you expect for a very strong V6 pulling a 4600 lb vehicle around? Other than that it's great. Good around town and great off road. Quite possibly the best composite on/off road vehicle around.

Locking rear diff, hands down! Roof rack/basket. Looks muscular and "truck like". Truck frame. Cargo space. The signature rear door.

A little more ground clearance please (1 - 2 " would be perfect). Larger engine (4.6 liter v6 or v8 would be rad). Locking front diff. Inclinometer for the Off-Road package in the dash like the Toyota FJ.

5 year review of 2005 Nissan Xterra SE
By 8watt300b

2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle new, ordered in the color and trim level that I wanted. In the 5 years I have owned it I have had to replace (under warranty - the fuel tank sensor, a u-joint). The CD player quit working just off of warranty and I haven't changed it as I use an ipod with FM modulator. The vehicle overall have been fantastic. I have put a couple hundred thousand hassle free kms on it and it hasn't had any more problems than any other vehicle I have ever owned. It's still solid, tight and peppy. Excellent for a small family, great for work use in the oilfield. Reliable.

Truck like build, off road ability, road stability. Consumer Reports "recommended best buy" rating. Excellent transmission. Pretty good on fuel. Keeps with most small v-8's. Towed a 25 foot holiday trailer with it and it did so just fine (with anti sway system).

I put a 2 inch lift and slightly larger tires under it, Airaid intake, full under armor, neoprene seat covers and the Nissan rubber floor mats (are an amazing fit). Comes as a pretty darned good unit to begin with. Just wish you could get all the features of the SE and Offroad editions in one.

Disappointing
By Sirgwhiz

2005 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought vehicle new; mpg ratings were 16-20. Had an 03 Maxima rated at 24-28 mpg; in 45k miles avged 31.5. Expected Xterra to avg 20 or better. Highest ever was 17. Service rep said it was within specs and offered no help. Dealer couldn't reprogram. Overall it is rugged, manages very well in snow and slush and truly is a stable multiple purpose vehicle. Circuit card for fan and AC burned out, $60; clunking in drive train after 35k miles, dealer replaced front and rear drive shafts did not fix the noise. Spare tire lift mechanism broke ($140 - replaced it myself); jack is cheap and bent in use; leak in tailgate corroded lock; wheel bearing went out at 65000, tow & repair $900

Responsive engine, height and visibility, 4 wheel drive and road clearance is excellent, roof rack, towing capability

Rear suspension bottoms out with a light load, better or dealer adjustable programming to manage fuel consumption (tail pipe is black with unburned fuel), brake pedal is mushy from day 1 - dealer says that's normal. Leather seats and heated mirrors. Replaceable rear floor glides.

All survived a roll
By Jessi

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I don't have too much to say as I only had the car about 3 weeks..BUT Just yesterday me and two other people went off an embankment and rolled my 2005 Xterra, two huge rocks impacted to car, one right above the drivers head. we walked away with only scratches and bruises. I know the official safety star rating is 4 stars, but I give it 5...and I'll be getting another one

Safety!

none

2005 Xterra - Still runs great!
By WylyGT

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 2005 "S" Xterra 4WD with all the options of the "SE" still runs great and is fun to drive! I don't have fog lights and never found a pre-fab kit to install or I would have installed them. The only failures was the original battery - as usual on all new cars and the rear shocks had to be replaced at about 55,000 miles. The Xterra tows my 19' Bayliner just fine. Plenty of power every where I go. Off road is a blast! Now I have over 80,000 miles on the SUV and haven't had a brake job! (Had to have one every 25,000 miles on my GM cars.) I hope to buy a new Xterra in a couple of years. Nissan makes a great car/SUV. NOTE: THIS IS AN AUTOMATIC!

4WD, 265HP, easy to clean - inside & out, tows great.

More room for CDs in console. A little more room in the back seat (hard to get in/out over wheel well). Fog lights standard. Millage isn't great but the power is there. Secure rear hatch panel better as it will get loose and squeak after a couple of years.