Used 2004 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Still love my X!
By MTNDD

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a new 2004 Xterra SE 4WD over 2.5 years ago. I still own it and drive it part-time. So this is a retrospective review. Overall, I'm happy with this Xterra. I've driven to rugged areas and didn't worry about the Xterra being able to get me through. The engine reliability has been perfect. Have had only minor cosmetic and noncritical problems. The Xterra makes you want to roll down the windows and cruise along, which is what I do in mild weather. I drove my Xterra from Oklahoma to Colorado to California and back, just cruising along enjoying the scenery. It was not an uncomfortable trip. I've had more comfortable vehicles but this was a great trip in the Xterra.

The four wheel drive has been fun and proven great in snow and ice. I've driven during winter storms when no one else was on the road. The Xterra has never once slipped or slid in four wheel drive! I've crossed streams and gone into areas I wouldn't have in other vehicles I have owned.

Better gas mileage, which I believe was perhaps partially accomplished with the 2005 and later models.

rock solid Xterra
By akhdz

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

this is my second Nissan ('97 truck was the 1st) and i love the truck feel of the xterra. i like the unique colors offered (mine is canteen green metallic) and that it's a TRUCK. mine in the base I4 xe 5sp, which is why i got such a good deal on it (13,7k drive out with an extended warranty) if you have a small family, and need a REAL suv, i'd look for a pre-owned xterra. prices are sliding down ('05 new body) and many on the market. since we live in houston (no mountains) the I4 is fine, plus i got 22mpg on my first full tank. i'm glad nissan didn't push the xterra too upscale, and made it affordable for all.

looks, color choices, build quality, interior room, 5 speed (i'm serious!) cheap maintenance cost ($21 oil changes)takes regular gas, easy to clean (the seats clean easily)

more interior lighting

Solid 4X4
By Mr. Dog

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Xterra after carefully researching the vehicle, and scrutinizing the condition of the car itself. For the most part, I agree with most of the reviews. The ride is a bit stiff, which is good for a true SUV. The steering can be a bit squirrely, especially at lower speeds, but it is fine once you adjust to it. One point I wholly agree with is the underpowered engine. A truck like this should have a 4.0 as base, not an upgrade. The interior is comfortable, if a little sparse, save for the power windows and locks. I'd also like more up front storage. So despite it's few shortcomings, it's a great truck. I really, really like it. After all, Dogs love trucks!

Roof scoop, ground clearance, full size spare, 4WD

4.0 base engine, more up front storage, flat area on dash, better airflow past drivers window, rather than into backseat

happy camper
By mdukes

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

i love my Xterra, i had a pathfinder and wanted the Xterra as soon as they came out on the market and have never regretted it. reliable, comfy, and surpasses my expectations....

comfort, roominess, style........

Happy driver
By GRACE

2004 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I'm handicapped so i need a car thats reliable so i can make it to my doctor every month and he's 5 hours away. I also need a smooth ride. I have the grille gaurd and the bars on my headlights.This makes me feel safe. Just recently i was smushed between 2 cars.Everyone else's car was bent horribly. They were amazed that my car was barely scratched. Thank you for making my life a little easier.God bless!

My favorite features are the way the inside is curvy not boxy,and the way the head lights are round.Also the grillguard and light covers.Last but more important than anything the smooth ride.

Gas mileage.