Used 2002 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Xterra

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

My Xterra
By Denise

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck. I would by another one in yellow this time. It is one of if not the best vehicle I have ever owned. Only tire and breaks in 4 years. Once suggestion, gas mileage. It is horrible. It states 16-20 I'm lucky if I get 13 mpg. This needs attention especially in today's gas pricey world. Other than that I look forward to another 4 years in this truck. thanks Nissan

Looks, comfort, cargo space.

MPG - please make it better!

Awesome!!
By Andi

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my Xterra. Driving thru snow is now a breeze since I bought my Xterra. I love it!! Best vehicle I have ever owned. Highly recommend this vehicle.

4WD & the way that it looks.

Can't think of any. It's perfect!

nissan exterra disposable
By sadnissanowner

2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

after 5 yrs of maintenance, it now needs 5000$ worth of work just to be safe on the road. I have kept it maintained...costed more than my toyota tundra which is older and still like brand new

looks

total mechanical breakdown after only 5 years well maintained; mechanic says he sees this all the time

Car Saved My Life
By savedlife

2002 Nissan Xterra XE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Sadly I only owned this car for 2 months. I had an accident and flipped on a very dangerous road where I lived. People who passed by thought the driver would have died, but I only had a bruise on my knee. The roll ability was great and the cabin stayed intact (no denting in from the top or sides). I feel very lucky to be alive and believe the safety features on this Xterra are why.

I had a 5 speed and loved that. Lots of space. SAFETY!!

I would have liked it if the back window could roll down or open instead of having to open the whole back hatch.

Inexpensive reliablility w/ personality
By DesignerX

2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 4x4 XE Xterra used in April 2002 w/13,000 miles on it, it had been a rental car. I now have over 90k miles and the truck is running solid, the engine and transmission feel tight and it still looks great. I've hauled a 3500 lb trailer about 3k miles. I haven't had a single problem with this truck. In my opinion the Xterra is the Civic of SUVs... it's not the quickest or most swank but it holds it's own especially for the price.

Reliability, looks, seats are comfortable.

The 3.3L V6 is a bit underpowered for the heavy truck so acceleration and gas mileage aren't stellar.