Used 2002 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Love my Xterra
By -D

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV SE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

Bought it used 2 years ago w 65k, I am the 3rd owner. Now has 98k, runs very strong. A few maintenance issues that was no big deal= air conditioner recharge due to leaky hose (common on these), a full brake job, new radiator (not expected) and I fouled a plug due to running cheap gas (must use premium at ALL times with the supercharger) so that was my fault. All of these issues in my book are normal wear except the radiator. Bottom line; drives anywhere and runs over anything with no problem. First car I have owned that I can say that I drive it any way I want and it just runs no problem. With the 4x4s get a good set of all terrains and will go through anything. Mud, snow, no problem.

Family friendly car with space for extras. Two car seats are a bit cramped in the back seat but work without cramping space up front. Huge strollers, diaper bags, kids toys and adult needs are swallowed up by the by the cargo area no problem. Roof rack does wonders when you use all other space.

Interior painted pieces look horrible as they are all fading, but is that so bad? I wish it had some side airbags and a vehicle skid control system. The newer Xterras have this and will be upgrading because of these reasons as that is a major factor with your family in the car.

Fun vehicle to drive
By john

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE S/C 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl S/C 5M)

This is a really good vehicle. I bought it new for my wife in 2001 and she drove it for 5 years and gave it over to me. I have driven a lot of vehicles but this is my favorite. Tough, dependable, versatile. Great in the snow if you add some weight in the back.

Ground clearance, engine

Gas mileage

Great truck
By Brandyn

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

In 07 my grandma bought our XT used. Unfortunately, my grandma passed away in December of 07 and she left me the vehicle. I got my license 2 months ago and I absolutely love my XT, except that the check engine light comes on at random times and the front piece is faded pretty bad. I feel very lucky to get to start out my driving experience with this vehicle and I would recommend it to anyone.

Looks, a lot of space on the inside and its comfortable.

Umm... MPG,and some backseat A/C vents would be nice.

Solid
By Brandon64

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE-V6 2WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased my Xterra in the summer of 01. It has been a reliable and durable truck. It's suffered the scorching summers of Phoenix, Az and the freezing winters of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and has never left us stranded. All parts still work. With regular maintenance it'll last forever. At 110K still runs strong no big repairs except for a high hose leak in the air conditioner, the power steering pump leaks but was fixed with a $10 additive and the rear main seal (common amongst Nissan trucks) is leaking oil but was fixed with another $10 additive I picked up. Overall been a fantastic vehicle. You can always depend on your Xterra

The plain but pretty interior, the stiff seats, that really powerful feel you get from the driver's seat.

More powerful engine, gas mileage that doesn't rival a tank.

It's been a ROCK
By kkempskie

2002 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Gotta say this has been a solid truck. Bought new in late 02 and ever since my XT has been very reliable. It's no-nonsense and does what it's supposed to do. Off-roading is a blast when we ride the dunes on the beach and it is a tank in the snow. My 1st set of tires got 50+ on them and 2nd sets of Coopers got 60+. It hauls everything I've needed - dishwashers, plywood, kids, vacay stuff to the brim. Love my XT but may have to part with it soon since I need something that will tow a heavier boat! Great truck, so long as it's properly maintained.

Off-roading and snow - this truck handles as good as my old LR Disco. Looks great too - wish Nissan kept the oval headlamps in the newer models. No-nonsense truck that is solid and reliable. Holds child seats no prob as well and gets OK gas mileage for an SUV.

Horsepower for sure, but they've fixed that w/ new models. The V6 I have is def underpowered, but adequate. Gas mileage of course for ALL SUVs. Wish towing capacity was more so I could keep it. This has been a great truck for us.