Used 2000 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

2000 Xterra Still Going Strong
By clgd3

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my Nissan Xterra since I bought it new in 2000. I have not had any problems at all mechanically. I have the oil changed every 3000 to 5000 miles. The only thing that has been replaced a couple of times has been the battery. Other than that it has been a great vehicle. I am even thinking about buying a 2008 or 2009 when I'm ready to buy another vehicle. I've been totally happy with my Xterra the past 8 years. I have read that some people have had problems with rust forming on the exterior. I noticed some rust that appeared to form in the paint but with occasional waxing it inhibited any corrosion. Overall the best vehicle I've owned.

Good looking design. Utility is endless. What ever you can think of, you can use this SUV for. Except for hauling big stuff, it can do it all.

Better fuel economy. Other than that can't think of anything that needs improving.

Simple but great
By xterra canada

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

You get exactly what you pay for with the Xterra. It's hardy, functional, cool looking and reliable. Servicing really started at 125,000 kms at which time most bits started to come apart. Keyless entry, shocks, clutch, muffler, power windows, a/c all needed either partial or full replacement. I did miss some of the luxuries of upscale models. Overall a great buy.

Exterior design, 4X4, stadium seating in the rear.

Allow for vent open/close, increase comfort in seats.

What a great little SUV.
By Lily

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV XE V6 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife and I purchased this Xterra almost 7 years ago (when we had no kids) and it was worth the price. We finally paid it off and it has been a very reliable vehicle. It is very comfortable on long and short trips with the family. A family of 4 will fit comfortably. As I am now finding out, 3 in the back seat is a little too snug. Other than that I think 7 years ago we made a good decision that we still own today with over 81,000 miles on it. Other than one recall from the dealership, we have had no problems at all. In the future we probably would be better off with 3rd row seating. Other than that I would keep it.

Plenty of room for a family of 4 or smaller! The 4wd works great in the snow or the trails or even fishing excursions.

The plastic bumpers look very old only after 7 years. I wish Nissan were quicker on notifying customers for recall info. I wish it had 3rd row seating. Exhaust system seemed to rust faster than previous vehicles. After 7 years I think the AC is going.

Xterra Owner
By Xterra owner

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV

I love my Xterra. It has 100,000 miles and I have only had to change the tires, brakes and a couple belts. Nothing huge considering the mileage.

It is very reliable. I drive 80 miles a day and I know I can count on my Xterra.

My only suggestion is more head room in the front and more leg room in the back. It is a small SUV and that is what you get.

Great Car
By X

2000 Nissan Xterra SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I found this vehicle very fun to drive and quite capable both on road and off road. I used the car for everything from road trips, to LA commuting, to Rocky Mountain offroading and it did great. The gas mileage left a bit to be desired, but to be fair, mine was lifted with oversized tires. I was recently in a 20+ car pile up that unfortunately totaled my Nissan, but let me tell you, that car crashed incredibly well. My girlfriend and i were both able to walk away from the accident uninjured. The car took several high speed impacts from other vehicles and even a few walls quite softly. We both believe its safety features saved us. It really was an great car both in driving and in crashing...

Truck based platform, roof rack, large cargo capacity.

The engine makes decent power but it really benefited from the addition of an Airaid intake and a Poweraid throttle body spacer. If you plan on off-roading, i would recommend a 3" Calmini or AC Customs lift and some 32x11.5 BFG's.