Used 2012 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Nissan Versa

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Transmission problem
By Teriaune

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

This car is not worth the money are headache. The transmission is awful. Peace of junk. Please let me no when the class action law suit starts are recall because this is ridiculous.

CVT is defective, should be recalled..
By Andrew

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

Bought the car from a used car dealership and initially had 63k on it in Sept. 2015. Drove great for about 10k miles and then started doing weird things on me which almost felt like the car was choking out from a stop or a rolling acceleration at lower speeds. Got it looked at by goodyear down the road from me and the recommended that i get a fuel injection cleaning, which did seem to help for a little while until it started doing it again a couple thousand miles later. A few thousand miles later my engine light comes on and come to find out it was my cvt transmission all along. Worst purchase of my life hands down, had the car 8 months and put about 15k on it and now it needs a $3500+ dollar repair (as well as many others) to keep it on the road. Nissan to this point has not been helpful in any way even though they know that this is a very common problem on a very poorly manufactured design, would tell anyone and everyone to steer clear of this vehicle with the cvt transmission.

Makes me wish for my 20-YO Ford Escorts
By Mike Falcon

2012 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Electric, mechanical, and body integrity no better--and far more costly to repair--that the 20-YO Ford Escorts (sedan and wagon) I formerly drove: ELECTRICAL: nobody in service at the dealership where I purchased the car can figure out why I periodically get shrieking warning blasts from somewhere in (?) the center console: they "never heard" of this (although 5 mins of online research show this reaction is not uncommon); brake, fluid, & all else that should be indicated by warning lights (and inspections) revealed nothing wrong. A/C noisy and barely adequate when the outside temp is over 90 degrees (it;s a roomy interior and would benefit, I think, from a bigger compressor. Had to replace the behind-the-dash fan (for both heating and A/C ) at 55K. Heating: the car's "cool" temp setting on the dash really mean just degrees of very hot air unless the A/C is turned on. The car lacks a temp gauge and oil pressure gauge. MECHANICAL: $250 wanted by the dealer to replace rear brake shoes (drum brakes in 2012? I didn't even think to look). Cracked control arm bushings seems reasonable on a car with 60K, but using parts ordered online, I had OEM struts, rear shocks, all of the control arms, bushings, an alignment, and rear brakes replaced and installed for less than than the dealer wanted to replace the cracked bushings and install new rear brake shoes. Mileage is worse than my auto-transmission Ford Escort STATION WAGON: lucky to get 30 mpg in the Versa at 55 MPH (with cruise control) on a 300-mile flattish stretch of open highway (the wagon routinely got 33-34, and the sedan, at that speed, 34-36). City mileage is horrifying: I'm a "gentle" driver and am not stuck in stop-and-go traffic, but Nissan in "city" driving gets a remarkably low 17-18 MPG. Interesting: there is a two-mile stretch of road I can coast down, and the Escorts reached 55-60 MPH on that mild decline, but the Versa is apparently not as aerodynamic, as it settles in at about 47-48 MPH. The Versa is tall and noticeably easier to get into and out of, however. BODY INTEGRITY and TRIM: laughable. I bought the car when it was two years old, but did not expect the "rubber" window seals to crack and turn brown nor come away and hang down, nor the trim at the front door to come away, nor the metal panel on the body (which the door slips over) to come off. Had none of these problems with the old Escorts. The Versa is noticeably more peppy than the old Escorts, but it's not going to win many races. Factor in the depreciation . . . Ouch! Note that I opt for Mobil 1 synthetic oil, which, I would think, ups MPG a little. Also, I very rarely have a passenger so there is little "extra" weight.

Great in-town car
By Car Nutty

2012 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

The Nissan Versa Hatchback is an economical car that is good to use in town (easy to park because of its size) but not a good car for making a long trip. I've been getting about 28 mpg in town and around 32 on the highway. The car is powerful enough to keep up with traffic on the highway but too light weight to feel safe when next to other cars and trucks. UPDATE posted Nov. 26, 2016: On May 27, 2016, I traded my Nissan Versa Hatchback for a used 2014 Kia Sorento SX in order to get a car I felt safer in. And my insurance company agreed by reducing my monthly premium. A friend owned a 2008 Nissan Versa sedan and was broadsided. Her car was totalled! I decided then to trade for a safer car.

A Total Disappointment
By Wilma Transou

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this Versa in 2013; after about 68,000 miles I started having transmission problems. I was totally frustrated especially after no one would take responsibility for the problem. It is just a disgrace that so many other owners of the same model are having transmission problem as well and there should be a class action lawsuit against the manufacturers of this vehicle!!!!!