Used 2012 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Versa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

serves its purpose
By Andrew

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new in sept 2012. drive it about 12k miles a year as i bought this as a second vehicle for daily driving because my other vehicle is a suburban. What sold me was the extremely low price tag. I hate how a lot of car companies these days force you to buy things you dont need like back up cameras, etc. If i want to know whats behind me ill just turn around thanks. It has great interior space, a big trunk, gets great gas mileage, has a radio with aux plug in for my phone, has a/c, heat, and nissan reliability. What else do you really need?

NOT WORTH IT
By palebeachbum

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

This was my first brand-new car and my first Nissan vehicle. I expected good overall long-term quality. I was severely let down. Within the first 1,000 miles of ownership, squeaks and rattles all around the interior began. Primarily at the passenger side of the dash, the headliner, and drivers door. Constant squeaks and chirps. Very annoying from a brand-new car! Next, the front suspension began squeaking badly. I had Nissan take a look. They found nothing wrong, so I had to live with it. Then, the paint began peeling in a couple of areas. At the A-pillar and also around the rear tail lights. Nissan repaired the paint under warranty. Then the car required replacement of the catalytic converter heat shield replaced twice within my ownership, under warranty. It's clearly a defective part. The transmission NEVER felt right from day one. It made creaking and whistling noises. It was very jerky in operation. It had a lot of behavioral problems. I hated the transmission. Luckily, I got rid of the car before it had a catastrophic failure. The windshield wiper linkage was loosening badly. The wiper arm movement became very disjointed and sloppy. Although the interior was cavernous for such a little car, the ergonomics were terrible. In 2yrs of ownerships, I never found a comfortable driving position. If I adjusted the seat to be a comfortable distance from the pedals, the steering wheel felt too far away. If I adjusted to be comfortable distance from the wheel, the pedals were too close. A telescopic steering wheel would have solved this. More reach is required. Ingress/egress was excellent! The option packaging on this car was comically bad. I owned the mid-spec SV trim. The car was missing some critical features some comparable cars offer in base trim. No split-folding rear seat? No variable intermittent wipers? Only 4 (crumby sounding) speakers for the stereo? Aside from the transmission issues above, other aspects of the engineering were quite poor as well. The steering was horrible. It was terribly light and offered no road feel at all. Trying to drive in a straight line on the interstate was pretty much impossible. The car liked to dart back and forth. Ride quality was very smooth...until you hit a bump, then it just hammered over it. The brakes were excellent. One bright spot to this car's driving dynamics. Acceleration was adequate, but the transmission made it a clumsy, miserable experience. Handling was pretty decent, but the skinny tires didn't have much grip. If you enjoy driving at all, this is not the car for you. It has no personality at all and drives like an appliance. I absolutely do not recommend this model of car new or used. Exceptionally poor quality overall. I was so disappointed in this car I traded it in after only 2yrs and 56k miles.

Transmission problem
By Teriaune

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

This car is not worth the money are headache. The transmission is awful. Peace of junk. Please let me no when the class action law suit starts are recall because this is ridiculous.

CVT is defective, should be recalled..
By Andrew

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

Bought the car from a used car dealership and initially had 63k on it in Sept. 2015. Drove great for about 10k miles and then started doing weird things on me which almost felt like the car was choking out from a stop or a rolling acceleration at lower speeds. Got it looked at by goodyear down the road from me and the recommended that i get a fuel injection cleaning, which did seem to help for a little while until it started doing it again a couple thousand miles later. A few thousand miles later my engine light comes on and come to find out it was my cvt transmission all along. Worst purchase of my life hands down, had the car 8 months and put about 15k on it and now it needs a $3500+ dollar repair (as well as many others) to keep it on the road. Nissan to this point has not been helpful in any way even though they know that this is a very common problem on a very poorly manufactured design, would tell anyone and everyone to steer clear of this vehicle with the cvt transmission.

Makes me wish for my 20-YO Ford Escorts
By Mike Falcon

2012 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Electric, mechanical, and body integrity no better--and far more costly to repair--that the 20-YO Ford Escorts (sedan and wagon) I formerly drove: ELECTRICAL: nobody in service at the dealership where I purchased the car can figure out why I periodically get shrieking warning blasts from somewhere in (?) the center console: they "never heard" of this (although 5 mins of online research show this reaction is not uncommon); brake, fluid, & all else that should be indicated by warning lights (and inspections) revealed nothing wrong. A/C noisy and barely adequate when the outside temp is over 90 degrees (it;s a roomy interior and would benefit, I think, from a bigger compressor. Had to replace the behind-the-dash fan (for both heating and A/C ) at 55K. Heating: the car's "cool" temp setting on the dash really mean just degrees of very hot air unless the A/C is turned on. The car lacks a temp gauge and oil pressure gauge. MECHANICAL: $250 wanted by the dealer to replace rear brake shoes (drum brakes in 2012? I didn't even think to look). Cracked control arm bushings seems reasonable on a car with 60K, but using parts ordered online, I had OEM struts, rear shocks, all of the control arms, bushings, an alignment, and rear brakes replaced and installed for less than than the dealer wanted to replace the cracked bushings and install new rear brake shoes. Mileage is worse than my auto-transmission Ford Escort STATION WAGON: lucky to get 30 mpg in the Versa at 55 MPH (with cruise control) on a 300-mile flattish stretch of open highway (the wagon routinely got 33-34, and the sedan, at that speed, 34-36). City mileage is horrifying: I'm a "gentle" driver and am not stuck in stop-and-go traffic, but Nissan in "city" driving gets a remarkably low 17-18 MPG. Interesting: there is a two-mile stretch of road I can coast down, and the Escorts reached 55-60 MPH on that mild decline, but the Versa is apparently not as aerodynamic, as it settles in at about 47-48 MPH. The Versa is tall and noticeably easier to get into and out of, however. BODY INTEGRITY and TRIM: laughable. I bought the car when it was two years old, but did not expect the "rubber" window seals to crack and turn brown nor come away and hang down, nor the trim at the front door to come away, nor the metal panel on the body (which the door slips over) to come off. Had none of these problems with the old Escorts. The Versa is noticeably more peppy than the old Escorts, but it's not going to win many races. Factor in the depreciation . . . Ouch! Note that I opt for Mobil 1 synthetic oil, which, I would think, ups MPG a little. Also, I very rarely have a passenger so there is little "extra" weight.