Used 2012 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

A basic auto
By Gerry

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great car with 5 speed manual transmission, and roll up windows, great mileage. A very nondescript car with plenty of trunk space. Easy to park. Great CD player and AC/Heat

Stay away from this car!
By Jeff Jones

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

The CVT went out with only 66,000 miles. We had every scheduled maintenance on it. Save your self the trouble avoid buy a Nissan versa.

Just Say No to the 2012 Nissan Versa SV
By Ken

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

This car has terrible problems with its CVT. Average failure is at 69,000 miles, just beyond warranty for those who care. The CVT can't actually be fixed by a transmission shop and must be replaced with either a re-manufactured unit or a used unit. Every transmission shop I visited said the same thing, the CVT will absolutely fail no matter what between 120 and 160 thousand miles, if not sooner. Mine failed at 93,583. Costs run between 3,000 to 4,500 to replace with a re-manufactured unit. Unless you can get a 3 yr warranty with a used unit I wouldn't touch it.

200,000 miles +
By Cheryl B

2012 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

It’s a great overall get around car and it’s been great for me and my family. I’ve had it 6 years and the only downsize to it, is that my kids have totally outgrown it. But I’ve had to do very little maintenance on it and it’s been very reliable for me.

Six-year Versa owner
By Brian

2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this vehicle new in October 2011 as the re-designed 2012 Versa SV sedan. I've only ever driven small, economy cars, so I wasn't expecting luxury. I buy based upon low cost of ownership. After almost 6 years, the car has almost 190,000 miles on it. I maintained the car regularly at Nissan through the warranty period, then myself or an independent mechanic thereafter. Overall, you will get what you pay for. My CVT transmission went out at 65K (first time owning an automatic let alone a CVT, so fortunately I purchased the extended warranty-covered--$3500 without the warranty). Other than the transmission issue, I've only done oil changes, one battery replacement, tire replacements, brake pad/shoe replacements. The bluetooth software is not upgrade-able with the new phones, so that feature ended when I upgraded my phone. Also, the CD player stopped working at 180,000 miles. Other than that, reliability has been satisfactory overall. This is a good car for highway commuters who only want point A-to-B. If you are wanting something fun to drive, or in areas where you need good acceleration, this is not the vehicle for you. Also, it's light and the wind will take it easily while driving. If you are a parent shopping for teens or less-experienced drivers, consider buying a used car with more substance/mass. I'm 6'1, 220#'s, have driven for nearly 30 years, and never felt safe in this car.