Used 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Bad CVT at 72,000 miles
By Bryan

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this car in October of 2013. The car had 8,500 miles on it, it was a loaner vehicle that the dealership used so I knew it was in great shape. Purchased the car, and at 30,000 miles the heat shield started coming apart. The cost to replace that was 500 dollars. At 40,000 miles new brakes were needed which is normal, but little to my knowledge the rear brakes were drum brakes, fast forward to 50,000 miles the serpentine belt snapped, the cost to replace that? 650.00 dollars. Finally at 72,000 miles my transmission started going bad, at first it started with a whining at low RPMs, then it had a hard time going into reverse and on multiple occasion would disengage from drive and the car had to be turned off and started again. Finally, when I was on the freeway, the car completely lost all power and stalled (thank goodness I got over to the shoulder). I had the car towed to Nissan, were it was determined that the transmission had failed but they couldn't figure out why because the transmission oil was good and it was at normal levels. I was quoted 4,000 dollars to replace the transmission, I almost called the auto-loan company and told them to take there car back. My uncle works for Nissan, and had me make a call to Nissan USA. After explaining my frustration with a bad transmission on a four year old car, I would never buy another Nissan product or recommend Nissan to any friend or family member. The service request was sent to a supervisor, about a week later Nissan called back and covered 3,600 dollars of the expenses. It took about 3 weeks to get the car back, as there was only one tech in the entire shop who knew had to drop a CVT and put in a new one. I've had the car back and it has about 77,000 miles on it now. Guess what? The whining came back and the car is having a hard time going into reverse. I am trading this thing in as soon as I can get the negative equity paid off on it. The car goes back into the shop Tuesday, the transmission has a year warranty on it.

Buyer Beware
By Renee B

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I have had nothing but trouble with this car. I took it to the dealership 3 months after purchasing it because there was a squealing noise when it was shifting through the gears. I drove it with the mechanic and he didn't hear anything when I pointed the noise out. They checked it out and told me there was nothing wrong. They also said that I shouldn't worry because Nissan warranties this particular transmission up to 100,000 miles. 6 months later I brought it back in because it was jerking other road, would not accelerate and my check engine light came on. I had just made it to 68,000 miles at this point and figured it would not be a problem. They informed me that the warranty had actually expired at 60,000 miles and any repairs would be at my expense. They couldn't recreate the problem so they reprogramed it thinking the check engine light was a computer glitch. 3 months later the transmission has completely failed on the car. The total cost for the transmission is $3,000 without labor. If you have this car and it is in working condition, please sell it asap.

BEWARE OF THE 2012 NISSAN VERSA CVT !!!
By Jess B

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I have never made an automobile review before but I am so disappointed with this car that I encourage anyone who experienced this to file a class action lawsuit against Nissan. At 64,000 miles the CVT transmission failed. You will be driving on a freeway and the tachometer will start getting wacky. The rpm will jump from 1,000 to 3000 rpm and back. After sometime your transmission will seem to disengage and your rpm will drop to below 1,000 rpm. At that time you are dead! The car will slow down to a halt and even if you press your gas pedal, the engine will not increase rpm. It seems like the cvt transmission is telling the computer to prevent the car from running. I brought this to the dealer and they said they have several problems with Nissan cvt transmission and encouraged us to file our complaints to the Consumer Protection Bureau. I called Nissan and they passed me from one person to another and told me they can't help. They have no solution to the problem other than replace the CVT transmission for $3,000. I told them I never had any car before where I have to replace a transmission at 64,000 miles, 4,000 miles after their warranty expired. It is totally unfair. I reported this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Agency (NHTSA). If our government consumer protection agencies are doing half of their job, no one especially a big manufacturing company should be allowed to get away with this.[non-permissible content removed]

Not Reliable
By Ashley E.

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

My 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan has 101k miles and the transmission is bad. I have researched and have seen where older Versa models were covered under an extended CVT warranty due to premature transmission failure. Why is this not the case for the 2012? It is completely unacceptable that a 5 year old car bought brand new, maintenanced regularly has a bad transmission. It made me stall and have no power or ability to accelerate in the middle of a busy intersection! It has done this 3 times! My children were in the car! Completely unacceptable. This is dangerous. The CVT is very poorly designed and very unreliable, not to mention dangerous. The Versa has been one problem after another. We had to replace the fuel pump at 60k mileage! That is absolutely ridiculous! This car is extremely poor designed and Nissan is no help, and does not back up its cars. Nissan is not reliable as they were once were in regards to quality and reliability.
Extremely disappointed.

serves its purpose
By Andrew

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new in sept 2012. drive it about 12k miles a year as i bought this as a second vehicle for daily driving because my other vehicle is a suburban. What sold me was the extremely low price tag. I hate how a lot of car companies these days force you to buy things you dont need like back up cameras, etc. If i want to know whats behind me ill just turn around thanks. It has great interior space, a big trunk, gets great gas mileage, has a radio with aux plug in for my phone, has a/c, heat, and nissan reliability. What else do you really need?