Used 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Wheres my Mileage?
By Diane

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in a Hyundai Santa Fe on this car back when the gas prices skyrocketed. I was told I would get 35 mpg. Not. I gave up many extras that I had on the Santa Fe (heated seats, leather interior, etc.) Not worth it. I drive 42 miles round trip to work 5 days a week and get about 28 mpg. I make a 5-6 trips from Cincy to Columbus (about 200 miles) and only get 29-30 mpg. This may not seem like a lot but I would have been better off with the Hyundai, it was paid off.

keyless entry and ignition

heated outdoor mirrors and auto dim rearview mirror standard

Spend a little more and be happier.
By Gene

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a modestly equipped Versa as an extremely economical choice. It was the most affordable 5-door that wasn't too small, but I was dissatisfied overall. A mediocre suspension, poor 6-speed shifter and unsupportive seats made an unrefined ride. Mine got poorer than average MPG despite a light foot. The brakes squeaked from the first day and were never repaired to my satisfaction. Nissan even distributed a note to dealerships to excuse themselves from this problem. In other words: Versas squeak. Too bad. If you want a low cost Nissan, buy the Cube instead.

The rear door design makes for easy access to the roomy back seat. The styling is conventional, but that's a good thing. Not everyone wants a small car to look tricked-out.

Better suspension is needed badly. Offer the CVT in a lower priced package. Redesign the door armrests to be less intrusive into the cabin. Better brakes are mandatory. Include the auxiliary input on the base audio system (that alone not worth $300 more without other audio package upgrades).

Commuter Car Supreme
By Hoho

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I got sick of driving my BMW 325 in the snow, and then got sick of fixing my Volvo, so I sucked it up and bought a commuter car. I have always been a fan of Nissan reliability -- have had several over many years. I now drive 25k a year. I have put 34k on this car, and it runs the same as the day I bought it. There was a minor vibration at 3000 RPM that was easily repaired (air conditioning insulation was vibrating). I have done all the scheduled maintenance. I recommend that. I am of the mind set that if this car is maintained correctly, it will last a long time. Is it fun to drive like a Euro car? NO! But it is reasonably quiet, handles okay, and slow as molasses. Overall I am happy.

Roomy interior, comfortable. Getting 31 mpg overall in crappy Connecticut driving scenarios.

Turning radius is the pits. Slow, slow, slow...

Windows & lights
By Brenda

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I really like my little car but have more trouble with the electric windows. Have always had elec windows but motor replaced once and still in cold weather refuses to go down. Second never had to scrape my headlights off. The shape of these makes it necessary. Hope it lasts me 5 yrs because other than that really like.

Quiet time
By Dan

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback 1.8 SL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Recently bought my Versa SL preowned with 5000 miles on it. Prior to buying the car I drove similar cars from Toyota, Hyundai, Honda, VW, Ford. The thing that sets the Versa apart from these other cars is the super low interior noise level and seamless transmission shifting provided by the CVT. I also noticed a lower level of engine vibration or "buzziness" that's sometimes transmitted through the accelerator pedal or steering wheel of 4 cylinder cars. The car has a much more solid feel to it than the Ford Focus. The doors sound solid when they are closed, you can tell the car is put together well. As back seats go, this car has a very roomy rear seating area for a small car. Nice little car!

CVT, side impact airbags, low interior noise level, big car ride.

Interior dome light not bright enough for me, would like to see independent rear suspension rather than solid rear axle, these items are no biggie for me.