Used 2008 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Versa

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

Spend a little more and be happier.
By Gene

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought a modestly equipped Versa as an extremely economical choice. It was the most affordable 5-door that wasn't too small, but I was dissatisfied overall. A mediocre suspension, poor 6-speed shifter and unsupportive seats made an unrefined ride. Mine got poorer than average MPG despite a light foot. The brakes squeaked from the first day and were never repaired to my satisfaction. Nissan even distributed a note to dealerships to excuse themselves from this problem. In other words: Versas squeak. Too bad. If you want a low cost Nissan, buy the Cube instead.

The rear door design makes for easy access to the roomy back seat. The styling is conventional, but that's a good thing. Not everyone wants a small car to look tricked-out.

Better suspension is needed badly. Offer the CVT in a lower priced package. Redesign the door armrests to be less intrusive into the cabin. Better brakes are mandatory. Include the auxiliary input on the base audio system (that alone not worth $300 more without other audio package upgrades).

Commuter Car Supreme
By Hoho

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I got sick of driving my BMW 325 in the snow, and then got sick of fixing my Volvo, so I sucked it up and bought a commuter car. I have always been a fan of Nissan reliability -- have had several over many years. I now drive 25k a year. I have put 34k on this car, and it runs the same as the day I bought it. There was a minor vibration at 3000 RPM that was easily repaired (air conditioning insulation was vibrating). I have done all the scheduled maintenance. I recommend that. I am of the mind set that if this car is maintained correctly, it will last a long time. Is it fun to drive like a Euro car? NO! But it is reasonably quiet, handles okay, and slow as molasses. Overall I am happy.

Roomy interior, comfortable. Getting 31 mpg overall in crappy Connecticut driving scenarios.

Turning radius is the pits. Slow, slow, slow...

Windows & lights
By Brenda

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I really like my little car but have more trouble with the electric windows. Have always had elec windows but motor replaced once and still in cold weather refuses to go down. Second never had to scrape my headlights off. The shape of these makes it necessary. Hope it lasts me 5 yrs because other than that really like.

love it!
By julie

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My 2002 Ford Focus s/w literally broke down on a Saturday. After getting it running, I drove 27 miles north to look at the little car at the dealership. Have never owned a new car but this one was worth waiting for! Love: the ride, pickup, gas economy (32 mpg best). Only negative: poor lighting. I will love driving this car for years to come.

overall style of body,comfortable ride, strong engine

Get better lighting up closer to windshield, lighted ignition would be nice

Beware
By Nomore Nissan

2008 Nissan Versa 1.8 SL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

At 4700 miles car developed oil leak. Also hard start problem. Dealer had to practically disassemble upper engine to cure oil leak. He messed up the timing and had to redo the whole thing. Apparently the engines are not quality checked at the factory, or the leak would have been found. Fuel regulator was replaced to correct the hard start. I am very wary of this car now. I know something will go bad down the road.

CVT.