Have you been searching for a gasoline- or diesel-powered crew-cab pickup that's more capable than a half-ton truck but less brutish and expensive than the latest crop of heavy-duty 250- and 2500-series pickups? Or maybe you like the idea of the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel but wish it towed and hauled a bit more? Either way, we think the 2016 Nissan Titan XD is worth a serious look and serves an untapped middle ground. Read on to learn how the new Titan XD can fit your needs.
- Torquey V8 diesel engine has serious towing potential
- Base 5.6-liter gasoline V8 is also capable of handling substantial loads
- Heavier frame and running gear than half-ton trucks
- Interior is attractive and functional
- Ride is less harsh than other heavy-duty trucks.
- Unimpressive diesel acceleration when passing
- Large turning circle demands ample maneuvering room
- Tiny diesel exhaust fluid tank requires more frequent attention
- Modest 26-gallon fuel tank with no upgrade available
- Alternative cab and bed configurations still months away.